Sliding Side Window Security Advice Please

Mud Digger

Retired Engineer
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi im after some advice please before i purchase . i cant find any info in the listings here on side windows and how safe / secure are they. what brought my attention was fitting a plain window to the sliding door side
My question is are the catches easily picked or broken and is there much difference to security in the fully sliding or the little sliding window catches thanks in advance

Haven’t personally seen many comments relating to them being insecure.
Bearing in mind lots of people would have a panel van if a tradesperson, don’t get many reports of kombi’s being broken into for tools to be stolen.
Most vehicle thefts now come after the house has been broken into for the key.
A kombi is no different to a car, if someone wants what you have in the vehicle they will simply smash the window, same as if they want to get into the boot.
I wouldn’t be worried about someone picking their way in through the side window in the rear side doors. There is a very much faster ‘in and out’ method so they can grab whatever they want quickly and be down the road before anyone realises.

Thanks for the reply DaveyB and your Point taken thank you. just once i started building my lists for the conversion there is such a wide selection to choose from, just trying to get it right before i buy and the windows are the first job on the list . i was a trades person for 25 years on the road and never had my van broken into luckily. if there was a problem there would be more comments in here for sure ... H N Y to you and yours thanks again for the reply .. Nick

Thanks for the reply DaveyB and your Point taken thank you. just once i started building my lists for the conversion there is such a wide selection to choose from, just trying to get it right before i buy and the windows are the first job on the list . i was a trades person for 25 years on the road and never had my van broken into luckily. if there was a problem there would be more comments in here for sure ... H N Y to you and yours thanks again for the reply .. Nick
No worries at all. It’s always good to seek opinion of others when unsure, have done plenty of that myself.
H N Y to you also. Make sure to try and get to at least one of the group meets as there is always loads of ideas and advice on offer.

Once the loaded weekender is built hope to come to a lot of the meets and traveling around in it ... lovin my Van cant wait to start the project. picking up a lot of info from this site and U tubing. with a great community backing it up

Once the loaded weekender is built hope to come to a lot of the meets and traveling around in it ... lovin my Van cant wait to start the project. picking up a lot of info from this site and U tubing. with a great community backing it up
Who’s doing the conversion?

Hi Salty i'll be doing the bulk of the work Windows, insulation & lining, lighting, Solar. But will seek assistance with electrics ( Final wiring but i can fit it most of it ) and get a Pro to wire it up and need help with under Chassis heater and LPG tank and Water tanks the plan is building a luxury weekender style van small cabinet for cooker / sink behind drivers seat pull out craft double swivel i need side style seating / bed for long item storage.

THE BONUS IS what i save on not having the RIB bed covers most of if not all the other work.

oh i forgot to mention the sound system lol and wall hooks for the fishing rods

im based down in Surrey i have Coombe Valley just down the road i ll book a Consultation there i think before i begin he does nice work on U tube

and he has inspired my confidence to do it myself . my Moto is already if in doupt ASK ....

H N Y to you Nick

Back