Sliding door lubrication - what do you use?

kn0bby

T6 Guru
My sliding door feels a bit course and want to make it run smooth again.

what does everyone use before I chuck a load of GT85 on it.

Cheers.

Maybe try Dry Lube spray ( as sometimes used on Bicycle chains etc) as it wont leave a mess.

My sliding door feels a bit course and want to make it run smooth again.

what does everyone use before I chuck a load of GT85 on it.

Cheers.
Hi ... @kn0bby ... I use this works great ..doesn’t attract dirt ;)

B0AD42BC-5683-4CC4-AE18-D6FC512B847E.jpeg

My top-runner has just become really noisy, and white grease doesn’t seem to be sorting it.

Give it a good clean out with a penetrating oil and then try white grease it’s all I ever use but always clean out first

To lubricate the door lock mechanism, you can use a silicone lube, grease lube, or Teflon-based lubrication in addition to graphite powder. You can also use WD-40 or white lithium grease as a penetrating fluid. Consider the weather in your area while selecting a suitable lubricant.

Try to avoid anything that leaves a sticky residue as this will allow dirt to stick. After cleaning use a dry lubrication spray.

WD has gone all up market with their range of products - I was looking at their drilling / cutting fluid earlier in the week to aid drilling out some bolts. Normal WD40 seemed to work OK (better than GT85!)

I’m curious but people keep recommending regular WD-40 but when I used it it just dripped and ran down the bodywork

Normal WD-40 isn't a lubricant it's a water dispersant. Coincidentally it's quite good at penetration and loosening fastenings, it's also a pretty good solvent for labels.

Like many products today that started off years ago to do one job…Companies built on the brand to create spin offs …Choose the correct WD40 product for the job ! ….When I first got my van I’d noticed a white mastic like trail where the bottom sliding doors run ..this has worn away …so I tried to get VW to supply me some but only ended up with very expensive Maintenance Spray …So after much thought i use the Wd40 white lithium grease on the door hinges and the sliding door channels and Wd40 dry silicone on the rollers …bit over kill but the vans a keeper and I’ve 2 sliders ( double the trouble)
But as said make sure it’s all clean before you start

ps Try a little on the locating pin on the B pillars …it stopped the squeak when the doors rattle

There are other products available :thumbsup:

Back