Sleeping - shuttle/options

MansfieldHQ

Evening folks,

So, I wonder if this type of product/solution is available…

Essentially, I am looking for a bed base that fits in the middle row of a T6.1 Shuttle (motability so can’t adapt too much).

We have bench only in R3 setup, for various mobility issues. We have removed the 3x single middle seat row.

We have invested in an awning which me and our middle (disabled) son can sleep in.

At the moment, my wife and our 2yr old use 2x SIM sideways in the void, with our eldest sideways on the rear bench.

It’s ok but not ideal - although I am not sure ideal is possible.

What I have in mind is building up the void to create a large raised bed in the rear section. Our eldest would then use one of those hammock style front seat beds.

I have attached some crude sketches.
Can anyone suggest a product/solution?
Thanks!

C1A583D9-1B7B-4482-A343-C0604DE4B820.jpeg
69742D11-F660-4548-B746-B5C012552859.jpeg
E194B7EC-CD24-43F7-85EC-262D117038AB.jpeg
3FDFEA42-069F-4344-9998-FA67C1909212.jpeg

So is a pop-top out of the question?

No brainwaves from me, I'm afraid. Others will be along soon, I'm sure. :thumbsup:

I looked at using cut down ikea Adils screw on table legs (£5 each) and a sheet of ply to create a platform in the rear to go with the kombi seats - you could easily make the same for the mid section along with an inofia folding matress. You could also put the front seats on swivels to create extra room.

I looked at using cut down ikea Adils screw on table legs (£5 each) and a sheet of ply to create a platform in the rear to go with the kombi seats - you could easily make the same for the mid section along with an inofia folding matress. You could also put the front seats on swivels to create extra room.
that’s not a bad shout Paynewright

would you take in pieces and bolt together on site?

i was wondering about using a few of those heavy duty trunks somehow - would also provide a decent amount of storage and could be dropped down into awning during the day - could this work, does anyone think?

3B74677B-751C-4BD5-98B7-D67F24C560C0.jpeg

Evening folks,

So, I wonder if this type of product/solution is available…

Essentially, I am looking for a bed base that fits in the middle row of a T6.1 Shuttle (motability so can’t adapt too much).

We have bench only in R3 setup, for various mobility issues. We have removed the 3x single middle seat row.

We have invested in an awning which me and our middle (disabled) son can sleep in.

At the moment, my wife and our 2yr old use 2x SIM sideways in the void, with our eldest sideways on the rear bench.

It’s ok but not ideal - although I am not sure ideal is possible.

What I have in mind is building up the void to create a large raised bed in the rear section. Our eldest would then use one of those hammock style front seat beds.

I have attached some crude sketches.
Can anyone suggest a product/solution?
Thanks!

View attachment 194752
View attachment 194753
View attachment 194754
View attachment 194755
What is SIM?
Can't you replace the 3x bench seats with a rock and roll bed?
SIM may be the reason.

What is SIM?
Can't you replace the 3x bench seats with a rock and roll bed?
SIM may be the reason.
SIM are self inflating mats (on the floor)

is there a RnR 3-seater bed on the market that would replace the bench in 3rd row? How would that impact on the boot space when folded down? Note: we’ve not got sliding rails…

SIM are self inflating mats (on the floor)

is there a RnR 3-seater bed on the market that would replace the bench in 3rd row? How would that impact on the boot space when folded down? Note: we’ve not got sliding rails…
I don't know the practicalities or the impact on motorbiking.. But there are companies that make bespoke r&r beds.

@MansfieldHQ , have you had a look at the options that Van-King offer? Give Murray a call and have a chat about his options.

Presuming you have a LWB Shuttle? We have a 6' platform in the rear which is supported on the frame, rear bench is removed so we can carry bike without dismantling them. We still have the middle seats in place, but the bed does not use them.

It is possible to use the the rear bench with one of the Van-King systems as part of the bed. Lots of storage below the bed.

99763142-F704-49B2-A878-50C69BA7F251.jpeg
99763142-f704-49b2-a878-50c69ba7f251-jpeg.4431

Last edited:
@MansfieldHQ , have you had a look at the options that Van-King offer? Give Murray a call and have a chat about his options.

Presuming you have a LWB Shuttle? We have a 6' platform in the rear which is supported on the frame, rear bench is removed so we can carry bike without dismantling them. We still have the middle seats in place, but the bed does not use them.

It is possible to use the the rear bench with one of the Van-King systems as part of the bed. Lots of storage below the bed.

99763142-F704-49B2-A878-50C69BA7F251.jpeg
99763142-f704-49b2-a878-50c69ba7f251-jpeg.4431
Thanks for this.
Not sure how biking/motorbiking got added to the thread?
Our van is on the motability (disabled son, wheelchair) scheme, so we can’t make ‘permanent’ alterations.
It is a SWB Shuttle T6.1 model (with middle row of seating removed).
I’ve not heard of Van King, thanks, will Google them now.

Thanks for this.
Our van is on the motability (disabled son, wheelchair) scheme, so we can’t make ‘permanent’ alterations.
Being a SWB will be limiting the options. There are no permanent modifications with the Van King system, so that will be acceptable for a Motability vehicle.

Give Murray a call, his details are on the Van King Contact page. He's a very helpful guy.

Ok, here was my process.
Bought CLS timber to build a crude base in the boot. The rear bench folds flat and the rear base in the boot area was built to the same height as the forwards folded down rear bench. I then bought a futon 4 inch foam double mattress from Ikea. The mattress lives in the rear, on the base, behind the rear three seater bench, day to day. The rear bench folds forward and the futon mattress pulls out flat.

This worked for a while but the bulky CLS timber (google it) wasn't efficient for usable space under the base. I then bought two 8 foot x4 foot x 22mm thick plywood sheets and made a C shape to go in the rear with the long end up against the rear bench. Then I put a thin cross bar of timber in the front, and placed a larger board on top. I added stretch carpet to the base with thicker house carpet to the top.

It now lives in the shuttle. The futon lives on top, folded. I did have to cut the larger futon foam in half to make three same size sections so it folds flat like a Z. Our luggage in sold bags fits nicely underneath and I cut a 'window' in the passenger side to access the jack etc.

I should lastly note we have a long wheel base, so the base in the boot, and the rear seat folded forward is long enough for the mattress to make a comfortable bed base. A SWB van might need a longer base board folded out over the rear bench to extend long enough to accommodate the mattress.
I'm away from home this week and will try to get images here but reception isn't great for uploading images here.

IMG_20210623_155750.jpg

Here is the current setup. Without the front thin strip the sides are quite flexible and you do loose a slight bit of space, but we usually tuck stuff under, and also have bags of stuff in the middle as we travel with the middle seats removed also.
In this picture the bench is folded forward and the mattress is pushed forward on to it to make the bed base more visible.

IMG_20220814_151522.jpg

Thanks for this.
Should be motorbility. Ha.

that’s not a bad shout Paynewright

would you take in pieces and bolt together on site?

i was wondering about using a few of those heavy duty trunks somehow - would also provide a decent amount of storage and could be dropped down into awning during the day - could this work, does anyone think?

View attachment 194774
I’ve got a loft full of those, good storage but not HD enough to bear weight.

Back