Sink water pump leak

60D4491C-8875-4D84-BF01-864110F63ACA.jpeg

I bought a van last year and the connection from the water pump is dodgy. The converter has connected the blue pipe with the pump on to the black one and sealed between. Problem is when you twist the cap the sealant comes off and it leaks. Seems to be a fairly common way to fix the water pump but sure there should be a better way to make the connection?
Thanks

The pipe is too big. Tap tails typically 12mm, Whale submersible pump outlet typically 13mm. There should be an adapter to step the diameter down after the pump.

thanks. Feels solid under the blue pipe for a good 5 cm or so, so I guess there’s a metal bit the the black pipe in it. Best solution? Jubilee clip I guess?

There is a metal bit that connects the black pipe to a plastic barb. The plastic barb is supposed to seal into the blue pipe. However, the blue pipe is too fat. It should not be able to go over the metal part.

You need an adapter to go from the fat pipe connected to your pump, to a thinner pipe which connects to the tap tails.

See picture below, the pipe from the pump should push over the white barbed bit, and stop there, then a clip over that.
As mentioned above, you need a pipe reducer, or a different pump.
Anything else is a bodge, that will keep on leaking.

Pete

F399E390-8C56-4E1F-8787-D3791C0210AC.png

Thanks for your responses. It feels like a really tight connection- certainly can’t pull it apart but appreciate water finds a way! Can you point me in the right direction for a pipe reducer that you refer to? Thanks

You will need to find out what size of pipe you have coming out of the pump. If you Google the name of your pump, you will find a specification sheet that tells you this. I’m guessing it will be 13mm, but as I don’t live inside your van cupboard I can’t be sure. Then I’m guessing it will be a 12mm tap tail.
If the pump is by Whale, there are instructions to download on the website that list all the various adapters.

So It’s a 12mm pipe and seems to be a 12mm plastic barb connection coming from the tap. Should the 12mm pipe just fit straight on or should it have some other form of connection?

If it’s 12mm both sides then you need a jubilee clip 11-16mm should be fine or go 13-22mm but don’t go any larger as the clip won’t form properly when tightened

Back