Single Seat To Double Bench Problems

nickc

Hi All,
I brought a double seat off ebay to increase the capacity of my t6 kombi, i managed to get hold of some double bolts, however i have just tried and the additional holes that i need to use for the double seat dont seem to have any thread, how is this achieved? is there some kind of sleeve required, or does a thread need tapping into it, i also read about changing the airbag are these easy to get hold of, any insurance implications also??

thank you

Hi All,
I brought a double seat off ebay to increase the capacity of my t6 kombi, i managed to get hold of some double bolts, however i have just tried and the additional holes that i need to use for the double seat dont seem to have any thread, how is this achieved? is there some kind of sleeve required, or does a thread need tapping into it, i also read about changing the airbag are these easy to get hold of, any insurance implications also??

thank you

Yes, you will have to tell the insurance as you will have the ability to carry another passenger. When I put rear seats in my insurance went up slightly for this reason. You will also have to get the V5 changed.

Yes, you will have to tell the insurance as you will have the ability to carry another passenger. When I put rear seats in my insurance went up slightly for this reason. You will also have to get the V5 changed.
And the single seat airbag will need to be changed to a double.

Hi All,

thank you
Fit a rivnut maybe?

Just seen the same question on Facebook. You need extra brackets under the floor. Speak to Colin at Oxford T5 @VWVC

So its easier to change a double for a single, then going the other way by the looks?

Yes you’ll need the brackets for under the floor. Drop the fuel tank to fit also. As others have said don’t forget you have a single passenger airbag so that will need changing.

Following this discussion, if I aim to do the opposite and change a front double bench to a single VW simora captain seat:

1. Do I need to meddle with airbags?
2. Do the same holes/bolts work?
2. Do I need to any sort of certification to prove they were appropriately fitted?
3. Does it tend to affect the insurance?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Following this discussion, if I aim to do the opposite and change a front double bench to a single VW simora captain seat:

1. Do I need to meddle with airbags?
2. Do the same holes/bolts work?
2. Do I need to any sort of certification to prove they were appropriately fitted?
3. Does it tend to affect the insurance?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

1. You don't need too and most don't. If VW fit a different airbag to single seat vans, there must be a reason. It could be a single air bag is cheaper and hence only fitted when they can get away with it. I've a single seat and I'm happy with the double airbag.

2. Yes. Although you'll have 2 studs not used and you'll see them in the walkway between the seats.

3. No

4. Best to tell them. Mine didn't change.

1. You don't need too and most don't. If VW fit a different airbag to single seat vans, there must be a reason. It could be a single air bag is cheaper and hence only fitted when they can get away with it. I've a single seat and I'm happy with the double airbag.

2. Yes. Although you'll have 2 studs not used and you'll see them in the walkway between the seats.

3. No

4. Best to tell them. Mine didn't change.

Thanks so much, that’s really useful, I appreciate your help!

Re exposed fixings by the handbrake - I bought some VW specific bungs from ebay. They are basically a machined bit of black nylon and a countersunk bolt that neatly fills the hole - I paid about £12.

Ian

Is there a thread on the forum with guidance for removing and fitting seats? Are there any gotcha’s? Cheers

Is there a thread on the forum with guidance for removing and fitting seats? Are there any gotcha’s? Cheers

Scott,

I did the same as you. Basically 8 studs / nuts hold the double seat in. 4 of which can be removed.

When you lift up the seat base, inside there are a couple of plastic trims that cover the wiring loom plugs which prise off. The loom plugs fit into a cage which fixes with two screws. Your new seat may or may not have this cage. Mine did so just unplugged each of the 5 or 6 colour coded plugs and unclipped from the cage then reattached to the new one. I had an assistant watching the wiring & guiding it as I removed the old and fitted the new seat.

My seat didnt have an air bag or heating elements which made things simple. Took about 30mins!

Regards
Ian

Scott,

I did the same as you. Basically 8 studs / nuts hold the double seat in. 4 of which can be removed.

When you lift up the seat base, inside there are a couple of plastic trims that cover the wiring loom plugs which prise off. The loom plugs fit into a cage which fixes with two screws. Your new seat may or may not have this cage. Mine did so just unplugged each of the 5 or 6 colour coded plugs and unclipped from the cage then reattached to the new one. I had an assistant watching the wiring & guiding it as I removed the old and fitted the new seat.

My seat didnt have an air bag or heating elements which made things simple. Took about 30mins!

Regards
Ian
Well that gives me hope, it sounds within my scope of inabilities. Thanks for the help. Scott

Back