Simple, Removable, Single Bed In Lwb Kombi

Steve Davies

T6 Pro
I wanted a simple, single bed in the back of my LWB Kombi with storage space underneath. I wanted to be able to remove the bed quickly when I need the cargo space.

Here's what I did ...

Materials:

4 x 3,000mm plus 1 x 2,000mm black steel square (25mm x 25mm) tube and 8 x 3-way and 4 x 4-way 25mm tube connectors (plastic outer with steel core) from Richardsons, 6 Collingwood Court, Riverside Park, Middlesbrough, TS2 1RP, 01642 242 228.

1 x Milliard 15cm Thick Tri Folding Mattress/Trifold Guest Mattress - Single (190cm X 90cm) from Amazon.

1 x 2,440mm x 1,220mm x 18mm hardwood ply cut to size from B&Q.

Miscellaneous timber lying about the garage.

Build:

1. Cut the steel tube to size (6 columns 462mm, 6 cross beams 610mm, 8 cross beams 810mm). NB. The sizes were chosen to make a frame that will take and secure standard Eurocrates (600mm x 800mm base) with a frame height to match the rear seat height when the back is folded flat.

2. Assemble the steel tube with the tube connectors to form the frame.

3. Cut the plywood to size and fix batons to stop the ply slipping off frame.

4. Put the mattress on top of the frame.

5. Have a good night's sleep!

The steel tubes and connectors ....
01-IMG_6801.JPG

Cutting the tube ...
02-IMG_6800.JPG

Tube all cut - 8 x 810mm, 6 x 610mm, 6 x 462mm ...
03-IMG_6802.JPG

Layout the base connectors, top is the same ...
04-IMG_6803.JPG

Connect the tube for the base, top is the same ...
05-IMG_6804.JPG

Place base in van and fit columns ...
06-IMG_6805.JPG

Put the top on the columns to complete the frame and secure it to the RHS lashing points ...
07-IMG_6806.JPG

Cut the timber - 4 x 610mm lengths ...
08-IMG_6810.JPG

Screw the timber to the underside of the plywood to stop it slipping off the frame. Note the fixing is asymmetrical. The ply is 900mm wide to match the mattress ...
09-IMG_6812.JPG

The mattress in it's stored position ...
10-IMG_6811.JPG

The mattress when folded out. If the rear seat back is up this gives a bed length of 1,850mm, hence the squashed mattress. If the rear seat back is folded down the mattress can be better placed and used to it's full length of 1,900mm ...
11-IMG_6813.JPG

Just the job, I’ve been considering making similar for my SWB, can I just ask how manageable this is weight wise? I was thinking of doing in alu tube but it may not be worth the up charge.

Just the job, I’ve been considering making similar for my SWB, can I just ask how manageable this is weight wise? I was thinking of doing in alu tube but it may not be worth the up charge.
Hi,

It's very manageable. I can lift it in and out with no problem. There are three main components. The frame, which weighs about 18kg, and the two plywood pieces, which are 7kg and 8kg. I did think of using alu tube but, although lighter, was more expensive as you note.

We made something similar for our SWB Kombi but with two singles, albeit one is quite narrow but it could easily be widened, and in practice works well.
Easy to remove and handle, plenty of storage underneath.
Photo below gives an idea but kitchen pod now relocated to behind the front passenger seat which improves access to the front cab area. The Lagun table swings out of the way, in fact all sorts of ways, and the beds are extended using two Dunelm storage cube boxes which are multifunctional.
vw1 s.jpg

Last edited:
I had put this on hold with the lockdown but think I will get on with it now. Mine is an SWB and I have measured I was curious how you have secured to the lashing points so I can allow for this?

I had put this on hold with the lockdown but think I will get on with it now. Mine is an SWB and I have measured I was curious how you have secured to the lashing points so I can allow for this?
With strong tie down straps as nothing quite lined up well. It also means removal is quick and easy if necessary. The units do not move about with these but we have thought about some more permanent metal clamps (perhaps late on!)_. Ours is SWB too but neither of us needs a full 6ft length bed The front ends line up with the midway lashing points as the bed extensions are not part of the fixed bed units, if you see what I mean.

For my very simple single bed I secure to the lashing points with a couple of webbing straps with ladderlock buckles, one at the back and one at the side. The frame sits at the lashing points, more good luck than measurement! The ply top then secures it from moving back and forward and I have a strip of carpet to the side which stops it sliding sideways. Actually the straps are probably not needed as the fit with the ply and the carpet pretty much secures it but they probably stop the frame bouncing up and down on rough roads. All of this then makes it very easy to put in and take out as needed.

1590768779456.png

Back