Side door locked because a piece of plastic is stuck on the sensor

AdrienW

Hello!
I have a problem with my transport T6.1
Once I closed the side door and because of the wind, a plastic bag got stuck between the door and the frame, exactly where the contact sensor is.
I didn't really realized this when this happened and I closed the van, so the side door got locked, normally.
But when I wanted to open the van again, all the doors opened but not the side door.
The van computer tell me that the side door is left open, but physically it is closed. That's only the plastic bag which is blocking the contact sensor.
I tried to removed the plastic bag but I couldn't release the sensor. Again the door is physically closed tight...
I tried to disconnect the battery, played with the side door child security, nothing works...
Someone already got the problem? What should I do?
Should I tied to dismantle the door or the frame?
Thanks a lot!
Arien

That's a random one.

Assuming it's deadlocked, you can't open from inside?

If the door shut on the bag it must have only blocked a few of the 6 or so contacts?

Not sure but the side door loom may pass by the passenger seat join point?

Thanks for your reply! yes it is a weird case :/
I closed the door on that plastic bag, so I assume he got stuck exactly where all the contacts are. In any case, it is not making contact and therefore the van thinks the door is still open and therefore don't unlock it. The door handle from inside and outside are not doing anything...
I dont know where the wires of this sensor goes... maybe that would help.
Maybe I can try to disassemble the door. I dont really know :/
I was hoping someone got the same problem.

Got a few pics?
Well visually the side door is closed, there is nothing wrong visually. I ripped the blocked plastic bag weeks ago, I pulled all little pieces of the bag I can reach, in hope the sensor will get unlocked...
Here is the pictures I just made :

Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 08.35.11.png

Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 08.35.02.png

Hmm....

well you can take the inner door card off the slider, to get access to the catch and pull cable that locks the door.?

I had what I think is a common problem where my side door would not shut and took the panel off to have a look inside. That wasn't how I found the solution but I can assure you that it's a fairly simple thing to do (even for a fool like me). That said, if I was you, I'd get a few new clips in before I started - now that the weather is colder, some of the existing ones will inevitably break.

Hmm....

well you can take the inner door card off the slider, to get access to the catch and pull cable that locks the door.?
there is a "cable" to pull inside the door? I have no idea whats inside the door, I didn't remove the panel yet. I thought the lock mechanism is rather in the frame and not in the door.

On the 6.1 there isn't normally a physical connection between the lock and the handle for security, but there are Bowden type cables in there because in a crash situation there is a remote control clutch that fires to connect them so you can open the door in an emergency:

Screenshot_20231018-172355-01.jpeg

Hello guys! I am the author of this thread (forgot about the password of my initial account), my door is still locked!
Today I have open the panel to look inside the door. I took a photo, I do see a central unit with 3 cables (photo 1), 1 is going to the interior handle, 1 is going to the exterior handle and 1 I guess is going to the lock I guess (photo 2). The post above helped me to understand, but it is not exactly like that, I dont see the "remote control". So as far as I understand, the plastic stuck (my initial post) is blocking the electric signals so there is no electricity in the door, to activate anything, so I have to manually do something, I guess playing a the cable (pulling or pushing?). Can you confirm?

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 03.08.16.png

IMG_6222 2.jpg

The latch so on the left.

So pull, activate the beldon pull cable that goes to the left.

The significance of the phrase from the VW docs struck me reading it again "installed exclusively for passenger use" - so there may only be a mechanical backup (with some vulnerabilities) in Caravelle/California/Kombi - it's possible that in a panel van it's all electric.

( That has some interesting implications for converters if true )

Have you spoken to VW Assist - I recall @Dellmassive chatting to them about doors and they suggested they knew a vulnerability of the new door so might be able to help.

The other thought is to unplug the loom from the door contact connector and see if you can temporarily patch around it to get the door powered up.

Hello guys! I am the author of this thread (forgot about the password of my initial account), my door is still locked!
Today I have open the panel to look inside the door. I took a photo, I do see a central unit with 3 cables (photo 1), 1 is going to the interior handle, 1 is going to the exterior handle and 1 I guess is going to the lock I guess (photo 2). The post above helped me to understand, but it is not exactly like that, I dont see the "remote control". So as far as I understand, the plastic stuck (my initial post) is blocking the electric signals so there is no electricity in the door, to activate anything, so I have to manually do something, I guess playing a the cable (pulling or pushing?). Can you confirm?

View attachment 228799

View attachment 228801
Hi there, Im intrigued to find out if you found a solution to this not so rare predicament. I too have a VW T6.1, I recently got a plastic black bag stuck in the side door, which has covered the electric connector, therefore my door wont open from the inside or out. Did you find a solution? Thanks a million for any advice. Marv

wow - so this is becoming a thing now?

@roadtripper - is this something you can replicate on your T6.1?

to see if you have the same problem?

Heh, I'll let folks know if it happens to me but if you don't mind I'd rather not hold a plastic bag in that area to try and test and then ring VW Assist with a stuck door :whistle:

So it basically back to square one.

Whereby you need to remove the inner panel and manually pull the lock mechanism to unlock the door.

If I ever have the door inners off I'll have a good look around. I might at some point to try and get some more sound deadening in as the roadnoise always makes me think I've left them a bit open, but not till it's cleared the factory warranty this summer.

Also I haven't seen a thread about removing a 6.1 Caravelle liner yet

Hi there, Im intrigued to find out if you found a solution to this not so rare predicament. I too have a VW T6.1, I recently got a plastic black bag stuck in the side door, which has covered the electric connector, therefore my door wont open from the inside or out. Did you find a solution? Thanks a million for any advice. Marv
Yes I did fix the issue, remove the side panel of the door, and manual push the door lock cable like in this pic and the door will unlock. So then just push the door from inside top open it, remove the plastic bag on the connector and enjoy :D

Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 15.45.26.png

Last edited:
Yes I did fix the issue, remove the side panel of the door, and manual push the door lock cable like in this pic and the door will unlock. So then just push the door from inside top open it, remove the plastic bag on the connector and enjoy :D

View attachment 234953
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply! I hope this solves my issue too! My vans converted so the door card is a little more difficult to get into! I’ll let you know how i get on!

Thanks again
Marv

Back