(Side Assist) / (Blind Spot Detection & Rear Cross Traffic Alert) retrofit

View attachment 82062
Not suitable for RHD - the lights. They are really designed for driver on left seat. The lense effectively dims both of them for passenger - on right seat.
OEM mirror LEDs projection coverage for RHD ;)

View attachment 66292

and OEM mirror LEDs projection coverage for LHD ;)

View attachment 66294

EDIT:
Different angles are achieved by different profiles of mirror cups while LEDs are the same for RHD and LHD.
That is interesting one cause T6 OEM mirror indication LEDs are the same for RHD and LHD. Different projection coverage is achieved by different inner profile of side mirror covers.

False alarms - do you get any, ever? On T6 OEM system (7E0 - Side Assist) or on this retrofitted one (5Q0 - Blind Spot)? All observations appreciated.

Did you happen to make a note of installation angles (both horizontal and vertical) of the sensors?

--------------
It turned out that my initial installation angles of the retrofitted one were obviously a bit off. The system has a built-in self-calibration and reported fairly quickly 100% success. However, presumably modules angle offset values didn't really converge and eventually I started to notice "too many" false alarms. Though there always was clearly an object - however stationary.

As I stumbled across seemingly related document ---> Side Assist - To Retrofit Or Not To Retrofit used the data to realign the sensors. Not surprisingly, a significant improvement was seen almost immediately. So currently keeping track how the calibration data now behaves. Yes, I could have resetted the system but was curious to see what's going on + hoping to learn something, so the final report has to wait a bit more :geek:.

My second approach :D.
Please note that warning type is related to crossing vehicle distance and also its speed :thumbsup:.

So the van was stationary...
- reverse gear obviously engaged
- but was the engine running? And thus brakes on?

So the van was stationary...
- reverse gear obviously engaged
- but was the engine running? And thus brakes on?
Yes, reversing gear was engaged, engine was running and brake was on during the time when I recorded the above video.
But to get RTA visual warnings it is only necessary to engage reversing gear for a second.
Then gearbox selector could remain in neutral, engine can be switched off and brakes off and as long as OPS is active,
RTA system keeps on producing visual warnings every time any other vehicle moves across at rear :thumbsup:.

And just to add to the above, the RTA system remains active until vehicle starts moving forward :thumbsup:.
I am not sure if this is result of having bidirectional rear sensors or simply system knows that vehicle is starting to gain speed while reversing gear is not engaged.

The van was serviced --- although I left a note about non-standard control unit 10 having a fault needing no action, still some stumbling on the fault with ODIS as it didn't clear :rolleyes:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 10: Park/Steer Assist Labels: 5Q0-919-294.clb
Control Module Part Number: 1K8 919 472 C HW: 5Q0 919 294 A
Component and/or Version: PARKHILFE 8K H03 0480
Software Coding: 0001151111
Work Shop Code: WSC 12345 123 12345
ASAM Dataset: EV_EPHVA18VW364GP00 001007 (VN75)
ROD: EV_EPHVA18VW364GP00_VW32.rod
VCID: 3728216D1E44FA53A21-8062
1 Fault Found:

12718592 - Databus
U1121 00 [009] - Missing Message
[Steuergerät für Lenksäulenelektronik-J527/BCM - mZAS_1 - kein Signal/keine Kommunikation]
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 6
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 7
Mileage: 36693 km
Date: 2026.14.06
Time: 14:45:52
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I talked to a friend who did retrofit the 5Q0 907 686 B Radars in a PQ35 Seat Alhambra.
@dnoermann would you mind to check with your friend which module is the actual source of RTA audio warning on his retrofit?
Is it Instrument Cluster buzzer, PDC buzzer or maybe vehicle audio system speakers?

Example of audio/visual warning on a MQB vehicle(Golf MK7) below.

I use RCTA in my car over 3 years and know where is from
Beeping or...beeeeeep is from PDC of course , but finall waring when RCTA STOP the car , is from CLUSTER

Back