(Side Assist) / (Blind Spot Detection & Rear Cross Traffic Alert) retrofit

...something is wrong with my system.
Today a 30km drive:

4 km Master
0% Slave
4% Distance of object 4

km Masters starts again at 0, Distance starts at 2%
I now order a Slave with Software 0081...

What are those parametisation Files? Do I have to upload it to my brand new Master first? Is this my mistake?
I presume you haven't got VCP nor VAS5054A?

Parametrisation files are (.xml) files with a data set.
Basically all VAG control modules have its own firmware/flash (".frf" file) and then this ".xml" file configures its basic parameters.
This is even before any coding or adaptations.
For example you can upload ".xml" file to Direct TPMS module to get your desired tyre sizes displayed in your IC.

In this case where two control units (master & slave) constitute one system
you don't have to upload any ".xml" files if you are using the same revisions and same software versions( regardless if new or second hand).
But in your case I simply don't know if different software versions are compatible.
Maybe more patience and longer distance needs to be driven to complete dynamic calibration?

I did not upload anything. And mine seemed to be brand new. Just the correct coding was needed.

You still have the fault B200500 - Data record invalid?​
IDE02057 Dynamic calibration status: RUNNING?
IDE03619 System status: ON ?

I'd like to think the prime suspect is the software mismatch between the modules. It's certainly something unexpected for the module (and the software developer) so probably the fault the unit sends out is just "best guess" - as checksums, or something, do not match.

Thank you Robert for the perfekt Explanation!
VAS5054A is on its way ;)
I just need the Flash files so I can update my Slave to 0081

I did not upload anything. And mine seemed to be brand new. Just the correct coding was needed.

You still have the fault B200500 - Data record invalid?​
IDE02057 Dynamic calibration status: RUNNING?
IDE03619 System status: ON ?

I'd like to think the prime suspect is the software mismatch between the modules. It's certainly something unexpected for the module (and the software developer) so probably the fault the unit sends out is just "best guess" - as checksums, or something, do not match.
Yes, the fault comes on every restart.
When I delete the fault the system status goes to ON and Calibration status to Running

Last edited:
Verified that from actual wiring loom so that's how mine is wired. But anyways - the data was extracted from Golf 2012+ wiring diagram ---> Golf 2012+ Current Flow Diagram | Free Download (the actual link is a bit misleading).
  • Lane change assist: pages 70/1-2.
  • Connector assigment + sensor orientation: pages 806/7-8 and 806/19-21
Also might be interested to have a look at Workshop manual for Golf 2018+ Chapter 13, Blind Spot Monitor, pages 225-233 in --->Golf R 2018 - Electrical system | Free Download

Last edited:
Thank you mmi!
Do you have a twisted Cable between pin 6-6 and 7-7? I only have two normal not twisted Cables...
Because in your Link it says CAN bus between 6-6 and 7-7

Last edited:
Hmmm... thats' true in connector assignment table. Also true that the colouring scheme of the wires follows CANbus scheme. However no mention in wiring diagram. I'm fairly certain also they were twisted pair (the loom was ready-made for Golf, so didn't look too deeply into).

However, not sure if it really makes any difference here as the distance is short and there are no other units along the bus 6-6 & 7-7. The CANbus is a (fairly) slow speed differential bus which is good in eliminating electrical interference. Certainly would be interesting to see what kind of fault codes would appear if wires were crossed :geek:.

Crossed wires destroys the circuit
Reversing drivetrain canbus will take out all modules on that circuit and make van non drivable (it did on mine which is DSG as it would not select gear or engage drive)
Reversing convenience canbus will upset modules and cause some functions to not work but not upset the overall vehicle too much as primary functions will remain
@Deaky or @StudleyGlass can probably comment on convenience side more as not experienced it personally

Thank you Robert for the perfekt Explanation!
VAS5054A is on its way ;)
I just need the Flash files so I can update my Slave to 0081

Yes, the fault comes on every restart.
When I delete the fault the system status goes to ON and Calibration status to Running
Just in case some handy PDFs below ;).

Attachments

• 5Q0 907 686 C.xml.pdf
    32.6 KB · Views: 119
  • FL_5Q0907686C__0081.frf.pdf
    620.3 KB · Views: 98
It seems that the parameter file is missing at my device. This guy had the same Problem:

It seems that the parameter file is missing at my device. This guy had the same Problem:

This info from the link is kind of all over the place.
As we know already you have different software versions on your units so by having VAS5054A you can easily flash your setup(master & slave) and then upload the data set.
You already have required "PDFs" ;) :D.

Another words uploading data set only, most likely won't fix your problem.

My PDC upgrade hasn't been completed yet but I have replaced my rear ABS sensors.
Easy and quick task.
20200521_003227.jpg
20200521_003257.jpg
As already confirmed by @dnoermann they work 100% correctly.
Thanks again Dennis!

My radars have completed theirs dynamic calibration, actually a good while ago.
20200521_003344.jpg
And all associated readings are present.
20200521_003120.jpg

Coding of Byte 0 in 5Q0 (3C) allows for the following configuration.
upload_2020-3-29_21-52-17 (1).png

So trying hex 01, 02, 03 & 04 I am currently getting the following.

01(ABS=yes, PDC=no)
1 Fault Found:

336901 - Databus
U1121 00 [009] - Missing Message
[Braking ECU ESP_33 - no signal/no communication]

02(ABS=yes, PDC=yes)
2 Faults Found:

336901 - Databus
U1121 00 [009] - Missing Message
[Braking ECU ESP_33 - no signal/no communication]

338048 - Databus
U1123 00 [009] - Received Error Message
[Parking aid no sound generator available]

03(ABS=no, PDC=no)
No fault code found.

04(ABS=no, PDC=yes)
1 Fault Found:

338048 - Databus
U1123 00 [009] - Received Error Message
[Parking aid no sound generator available]

I am 100% sure that fault "338048 - Databus U1123 00 [009] - Received Error Message"
is caused by incompatible PDC module and once its upgrade is completed this fault will disappear.

And then fault "336901 - Databus U1121 00 [009] - Missing Message",
is it caused by missing bidirectional ABS sensors on the front axle
or maybe because of missing activation bit/bits in ABS coding?

Last edited:
Since the Sharan only needs the Bidirectional Sensor @ the rear, i think we can rule missing Bidirectional Sensor in the front out.
More likely the ABS or the Engine ECU needs to generate the Missing CAN Message.
Peeking and Pokeing (PEEK and POKE - Wikipedia) with the Bits in ABS is one way to try and error this.
Looking into Engine ECU Firmware is another.
For my ACC Retrofit i needed to enable the Motor-Bremse Can Message in Engine ECU Firmware ...
Known ABS Coding is Documented here: Want ESP/TC Button in my 2017 Caddy, abs mk100 coding?
From actual Tests i can tell you that Byte 17 of coding is accepting every Combination of Bits.
And Byte 6 with Mirror in Byte 14 are looking interesting regarding Breaking communication ...

Thanks a million!
Fully agree and indeed it sounds very promising but one question.
Do you know what is the PLA setup for Caddy? Is it using rear bidirectional ABS sensors only or maybe both front & rear?

Last edited:
Back