Sicaflex AND the bolts?

Hi. We're going to fit a C rail into the gutter of our van. There are 4 bolts already there but should we use Sicaflex as well? We are going to use some stainless steel bolts in place of the supplied ones anyway. We don't intend to remove the railing after fitting. The awning will be either a small drive away (Outdoor Revolution Outhouse XL) or a Sunn Camp canopy. We wouldn't be leaving either of them up in very windy weather.
What have you done with yours? Thanks

I'm probably about to do something similar but on a temporary basis, I was going to just use some stainless bolts, the rail I have from Just Kampers looks substantial enough to not need any extra help. I have read that some use a blob of silicone on the threads to make sure they're sealed to the outside world

You can use the white thread tape from plumbers merchants etc for protection against leaks.. Did a mates caddy rails and no probs :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Use ptfe tape as above, using silicone or sikaflex might make removing at a later date difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of people have had issues with leaks through the bolt holes after fitting things into factory roof hole fixings so silicone is not a bad idea even if its just minimal amounts to ensure a waterproof seal on the threads

Lots of people have had issues with leaks through the bolt holes after fitting things into factory roof hole fixings so silicone is not a bad idea even if its just minimal amounts to ensure a waterproof seal on the threads
Oh right, perhaps silicone on the threads is the best idea then.

I'd give the bolts a good dose of white Ptfe tape, bear in mind that it is good enough for your household plumbing stuff which is under pressure.. Rain water isn't..

PTFE tape is a good idea, much nicer than silicone and if you ever remove it the holes will reseal just as well with no residue to scrape away first

I think the issue is that when you remove the bolt there's a fibre gasket, people leave it there on the roof, fit the bar with the new bolt, but no gasket under bolt head.. You need a flat headed Allen bolt, like OE, with anothe fibre gasket washer between it and rail mount.. But PTFE tape used well gets around the problem, as it seals the thread, but isn't messy, just apply it to the thread in the correct direction, so that it doesn't unwrap as you do the bolt up..

I am about to fit a gutter mounted rail to my T6, this has been very useful thank you. PTFE tape it is. I've also got the added complexity of fitting it under our pop top roof - wish me luck! Any tips welcome.

Back