Show Us Your T5.1 Then

Introducing Father Jack. He is a 2014 BiTDI 4 motion Caravelle with 135k on the clock.

This is my rolling project, and first for a very long time. I used to restore MG’s, Jags and old Lancia’s bitd.

I have had ‘from new’ L200’s for the past 20 years, so this is a big change and loving it.

This year it’s going to mechanical stuff and then I will make it pretty, all with a limited budget.

Main use is going on mtb trips as a family. Last summer in my last L200 we did a big trip of 2500 miles to Switzerland, Italy, Austria and Lichtenstein. This year it will be just UK trips only.

So FJ is a one business owner from new. A smattering of service history, but it shouted dusty and dirty honest vehicle so I bought it. I think I got a good deal and it sure drives very nicely. Even when compared to my mates same spec 35k Transporter camper.

So far I have given it a dam good clean inside, used bike rack, and a service.

This week we went to Retro Resus to be checked out, oh being BiTDI I have done an oil analysis. Engine wise I have been told 50/50 whether it’s okay. Still on an A cooler but not too bad aluminium content, iron wasn’t great but the oil was horrendous condition. Retro Resus have diagnosed a completely blocked DPF so we are doing this in a couple weeks and then we should see if the engine starts guzzling oil. Maybe if it’s not too bad do a further oil analysis at 3k?

So:

New DPF, then maybe a rebuilt engine if it’s really bad

New bushes in the front and sus top mountings

New discs and pads

I am changing bulbs and fixing silly items everywhere and have added wind deflectors on the windows.

I must admit it’s lovely to drive. It is still smelling odd inside so the carpets and headlining will need cleaning professionally- it was owned by a director of a Dutch flower importer. Interesting cigarettes maybe? :cool:

BC52694C-8AC8-445A-91ED-C896F2E2E5AC.jpeg

9F0AC820-E79C-4925-9CF5-DEA0EDD17A29.jpeg

Last edited:
Introducing Father Jack. He is a 2014 BiTDI 4 motion Caravelle with 135k on the clock.

This is my rolling project, and first for a very long time. I used to restore MG’s, Jags and old Lancia’s bitd.

I have had ‘from new’ L200’s for the past 20 years, so this is a big change and loving it.

This year it’s going to mechanical stuff and then I will make it pretty, all with a limited budget.

Main use is going on mtb trips as a family. Last summer in my last L200 we did a big trip of 2500 miles to Switzerland, Italy, Austria and Lichtenstein. This year it will be just UK trips only.

So FJ is a one business owner from new. A smattering of service history, but it shouted dusty and dirty honest vehicle so I bought it. I think I got a good deal and it sure drives very nicely. Even when compared to my mates same spec 35k Transporter camper.

So far I have given it a dam good clean inside, used bike rack, and a service.

This week we went to Retro Resus to be checked out, oh being BiTDI I have done an oil analysis. Engine wise I have been told 50/50 whether it’s okay. Still on an A cooler but not too bad aluminium content, iron wasn’t great but the oil was horrendous condition. Retro Resus have diagnosed a completely blocked DPF so we are doing this in a couple weeks and then we should see if the engine starts guzzling oil. Maybe if it’s not too bad do a further oil analysis at 3k?

So:

New DPF, then maybe a rebuilt engine if it’s really bad

New bushes in the front and sus top mountings

New discs and pads

I am changing bulbs and fixing silly items everywhere and have added wind deflectors on the windows.

I must admit it’s lovely to drive. It is still smelling odd inside so the carpets and headlining will need cleaning professionally- it was owned by a director of a Dutch flower importer. Interesting cigarettes maybe? :cool:

View attachment 192285

View attachment 192286
I have std 17” Caravelle wheels, which are very rough, baring the spare that had never been out of its rack since new. I was thinking i would just powder coat these black and keep. Plus maybe a steel pepperpot with Swamper tyres . What size wheels, 17 or 18? I assumed 17 to give the smaller off road wheel look?

I hear the challenge is getting the old ones out
I didn’t do it myself. It’s a pig to adjust them when they are on I am told. If I had my time again I would only do the back and put T32 lower arms on the front with normal bushes. Ride is hard

Back