Should my 2019 T6 SWB T28 be fitted with an engine undertray

E7DER

VIP Member
Hello,

Whilst having a good look under my new to me 2019 T6 Camper I noted a couple of things and hope to secure a reply through the forum.

1) Should the van have an engine under tray fitted
2) On the offside, between the inner wheel liner and alternator, should there be a shroud separating / protecting the alternator from general road grime and splash from the tyre. Possibly integral to the under tray if there should be one fitted.

Many Thanks

Campbell

On the tray, if you mean the one that sits directly under the engine bay, I think the answer is no. A lot of us on here have bought off eBay - mine is one of these which is a perfect fit and even an idiot like me can put fit it in 10 minutes, inc. driving the van onto some ramps: Under Engine Cover Undertray + Fitting Kit for VW Transporter T6 & Caravelle Van | eBay
It really does seem to keep the crap out - typical penny pinching from VW in not fitting one as standard.

I wouldn't know what an alternator looks like if I saw one!

Last edited:
I just wanted to share that I got a quote today from VW dealer Heritage in Bristol to fit undertray and they quoted me £278 to provide the tray and fit it !!???? That is only if I also get them to service the DSG at the same time. I haven’t even bothered to ask what it would be on its own. Complete con artists

I just wanted to share that I got a quote today from VW dealer Heritage in Bristol to fit undertray and they quoted me £278 to provide the tray and fit it !!???? That is only if I also get them to service the DSG at the same time. I haven’t even bothered to ask what it would be on its own. Complete con artists
The DSG service they quoted £285

Back in 2019, Vw Sheffield kindly removed from my bank the grand sum of £222.90 for a T6 flavoured undertray & some M8 bolts

Would I be correct in thinking that the £278 would be for the part only on the basis that they would have to remove and refit the cover (if one were fitted) as part of the DSG service? I have to wonder how much labour they would be charging if the fitting job was billed separately - as mentioned in my post above (2), even a moron like me can do the whole job in 10 minutes. Scam artists!

Would I be correct in thinking that the £278 would be for the part only on the basis that they would have to remove and refit the cover (if one were fitted) as part of the DSG service? I have to wonder how much labour they would be charging if the fitting job was billed separately - as mentioned in my post above (2), even a moron like me can do the whole job in 10 minutes. Scam artists!
Correct. complete scam. I know its a 10 minute job. I even told them I could source the part myself before they sent the quote - which I've now ordered for £58 on ebay inlcluding the bolts. Makes me wonder what else they're overcharging for...Here's transcript of the relevant part of the email conversation....can't believe they're so upfront about ripping me off.

Them:
"To fit an undertray would be £278.57 if done with the DSG service. We would order the part much closer to your appointment date in April, and would possibly need payment upfront."

Me:
"Thanks for the reply.
That can't be right...£278 to fit the engine undertray? It's only got 6 bolts...? Please can you double check?"

Them:
"Apologies, £278.57 is solely the cost of parts (tray + 6 bolts). No labour will be charged to fit the tray if done at the same time as the DSG service."

DIY Job . . .

1676019975532.png1676019985066.png

Correct. complete scam. I know its a 10 minute job. I even told them I could source the part myself before they sent the quote - which I've now ordered for £58 on ebay inlcluding the bolts. Makes me wonder what else they're overcharging for...Here's transcript of the relevant part of the email conversation....can't believe they're so upfront about ripping me off.

Them:
"To fit an undertray would be £278.57 if done with the DSG service. We would order the part much closer to your appointment date in April, and would possibly need payment upfront."

Me:
"Thanks for the reply.
That can't be right...£278 to fit the engine undertray? It's only got 6 bolts...? Please can you double check?"

Them:
"Apologies, £278.57 is solely the cost of parts (tray + 6 bolts). No labour will be charged to fit the tray if done at the same time as the DSG service."
just to point out the the OEM under tray has additional sound deadening. . . ( a few felt pads ) that they ebay ones dont have,

but you can add yourself id you so wish.

Thanks for this Lee, and the vid, very helpful, and nice tunes! Any insight to buying the felt pads?
Some people have added sound deadening to the under tray.

Not bothered myself yet.

Nothing official from VW to add anything.

I think @moomin-j posted some.pics if his official tray that showed the OEM insulation.

Sticky 10mm felt sheets should be the closest I'd imagine

Back