should I run my fridge on 240v or 12v whilst I'm hooked up

osman

Steve O
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi im puzzling over what I should do with my fridge when im hooked up to 240v .. I have the option of keeping the fridge plugged into my leisure battery OR plugged into the 240 via an adapter (240v Power supply) basically either way the fridge is running on 12v dc. So the fridge is un aware of any difference.. however im wondering if I am doing the wrong thing .. the battery is getting charged anyhow whilst im on 240v hook up ... so is there actually any point in me plugging the fridge into the 240v outlet at all ?
I can see it would make sense if im trying to charge the battery as quickly as possible to run the fridge on 240v so there is no additional drain on the battery whist it being charged.. BUT if the battery is hardly drained at all is there any point in me using the 240v adapter for the fridge ?
hope that makes some sense

if your on EHU,

then run the fridge, with the PSU connected to the mains/EHU . . . that way you will reduce the wear & tear on the 12v system.

why run the fridge on 12v thats just going to use power from the mains charger via your leisure battery . . thats provided you have a good enough charger on your 12v system?

what charger have you got that charges up your 12v system when on EHU?

more info:

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --

I didn't think 3 way fridges ran on 12v unless the engine is running? My Motorhome is automatic and switches to the best power source automatically, and will only run on 12v if i'm driving.

if your on EHU,

then run the fridge, with the PSU connected to the mains/EHU . . . that way you will reduce the wear & tear on the 12v system.

why run the fridge on 12v thats just going to use power from the mains charger via your leisure battery . . thats provided you have a good enough charger on your 12v system?

what charger have you got that charges up your 12v system when on EHU?

more info:

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --
not sure exactly it was installed by absolute 5 seems fine to me ..I see what your saying .. its just the hassle and wear and tear of plugging and unplugging an adapter that im questioning.. if my 12v stuff such as head unit, interior lights, black view cameras etc etc are running off the leisure battery why keep unplugging and plugging back my fridge back and forth from 12-240.. seems rather a lot of hassle when im only hooked up to charge my system once a day .. im not parked up and static .. if I was then yes I totally agree .. keep the fridge on 240v adapter .. but at the moment im basically just doing short journeys pottering about (however my fridge is loaded up with goodies and I don't want them spoiling).. I was going to do a run today but it was cancelled so I've hooked up just to re charge the system .. and that when it occurred to me should I or should I not keep unplugging and swopping over the fridge back and forth every time I hook up just to top up the leisure battery....the fridge does have a battery protection circuit so I cannot damage the battery but so far thats not kicked in as I've not let it get that low.
so far in testing I can leave the fridge and cameras running over night maybe up to 15 hours or so without the battery protection kicking in. .. then I give it a decent run if I can if not ill hook it up to 240 to make sure the leisure battery is topped back up to 100%

Last edited:
I didn't think 3 way fridges ran on 12v unless the engine is running? My Motorhome is automatic and switches to the best power source automatically, and will only run on 12v if i'm driving.
mines a compressor fridge connected to the leisure batterie when I need it running..if im not using it I just switch it off

Back