Should I buy a Kombi with 3 kids

vallumlj

Hi all nice to meet you.

I currently drive around 35k a year and transport a small amount of goods so a SWB will be fine for me. My main question is I also need a vehicle to ferry the kids around we will have a 10 / 7 and infant this year how do you find the van with kids or would I be better with a MPV or similar?

I was looking at something like this it must have apple car play

Do it.

So much better than most car options.
I use a kombi for work and family. Partner and two young kids. It's the 1st choice of vehicle to use when we all go out.

I spec'd a single door on mine as it suits my plans further down the line. However if I had 3 kids and it was being bought predominantly for family use I'd recommend getting twin sliders.

Just food for thought.

3 on the back seat of any car is going to be a squeeze. The van gives you the extra width to make everyone comfortable. The load space and versatility is epic. I don't know many people that have bought a van that have gone back to a 'normal' car.

I don’t use mine for the family but would not recommend one for the winter. The engine takes ages to warm up compared to are petrol suv and the heater is rubbish for the rear passengers. If it’s for long run then it will warm up and would be ok.
In the summer for days out and camping they are perfect but for school runs get a petrol seven seater.

For the first time we got back in the car! oh no.. so small.. Everyone back into the van tomorrow! The bonus of the rear seat in a Kombi is that has 3 proper seats ( all with isofix ) .

I bought a Kombi about a year ago, much easier with 3 kids that the E Class estate that I had before. And that car wasn't exactly small. The kids are higher up and love it, they make a mess and I don't worry about it as it has a easy clean floor and seat covers.

No heater in the back but hasn't been a problem for us. You could get a shuttle or caravelle if that was an issue for you.

I have a twin slider, makes life a LOT easier. I have a 2+1 rear set up and all three seats will take an Isofix seat. Tons of room! I also have captains chairs up front so the dog usually lies between us, making for quality family adventures (when we're not in lockdown...)

I wish I'd had a Transporter when my 3 kids were small, I remember trying to cram all the stuff in various estate cars over the years for family holidays, the kids arguing because they were crammed in next to each other, never enough room. Yes, I'd definitely get a T6 as a family car!

I’ve got three kids and we’ve had an MPV (Galaxy) for the last 7 years. We switched to a T6 Shuttle a year ago and would never go back. The kids have so much more space and therefore fight and argue far less, we usually have one of them up front with us as well further increasing space for the other two in the back.

The massive load space also makes things so easy, gone are the days of a roof box or trailer (we used to have both). The move to a T6 has made days out and our journeys through to southern France a breeze.

To answer the comment about warm up time, the Shuttles have an auxiliary water heater and also heating in the rear, the T6 consequently warms up far quicker than the Galaxy ever did.

100% yes - Will transform your life (mark my words not that)- so much more flexible with three kids - I personally speak from experience with my three as well as selling them.

Let me know if we can assist with the supply we have a few vans in stock that may be suitable.

PS - They also hold their money better than most vehicles on the road, so win win

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely yes. The Transporter Kombi is the best family vehicle on the road for a 3 child family. Once you go for it and buy one, you'll wonder how you managed without one!

It's such a flexible vehicle in standard interior form, but there are so many things you can do with it to meet whatever your specific needs are that they are simply unbeatable.

Thanks everyone for the replies all sounds postive.

bognor motors will call you tomorrow who’s the best contact cheers

100% yes - Will transform your life (mark my words not that)- so much more flexible with three kids - I personally speak from experience with my three as well as selling them.

Let me know if we can assist with the supply we have a few vans in stock that may be suitable.

PS - They also hold their money better than most vehicles not he road, so win win

Do it, will make life much easier, so much more space than any MPV, and alot alot cooler!!

Do it! You won't look back. I can't imaging a more versatile vehicle than a Transporter kombi. I don't have kids so I'm happy with the single side door but my business partner has 2 lads, he has said if he could spec his van again he'd opt for twin sliders... something to consider.

Absolutely mine are 11, 7 & 1. It’s the perfect family vehicle. Plus loads of room for toys, bikes and camping! With your annual mileage it will also hold its value much better than a car.

Family of five and a dog. Upgraded from a 5-series estate. Best decision ever. It's a caravelle (second one) rather than Kombi but it's just so accommodating for all family needs and the kids love it. Do it

Should I buy a Kombi with 3 kids....
Thats a fair swop 3 kids for Kombi....I’d also ask for cashback :laugh::laugh::x3:

sorry... but a young family would benefit from a LWB..more space behind the Seats and if your not converting you could fit a roof rack for extra stowage :)

ps twin slider be ideal

Back