Service interval

if you take the service plan with Vw the cost its not horrendous. And extended warranty is worth every single penny to me. Last time I have taken the van in to replace dpf matter sensor, it ended up with 4K pounds bill!
Almost fell of the seat when I looked at the invoice. Only minutes after they told me the job was done under extended warranty.
T6 is an expensive machine to keep in good order. Reliability is decent overall but size, weight and loads of electronic doesn’t help.
At 52k miles I am on my second brake pads set and the front disks soon need replacement . I sold my golf VI with original front disks and pads after 100k miles.
One little stone cracked the front wind screen
Yesterday… money money money…
Odd that, I’ve done 50k miles in mine. It was MOT’d last week. The health check states that the front pads are 30% worn, rear 10%worn & discs “as new”. It’s a t32 with “big brakes”

IMO the van should run without any issues at 6 years old and 46K miles. Your only costs should be planned services, renewing consumables and MOTs.
I think in general drivers are starting to accept that all vehicles have frequent issues, that should definitely not be the case.
I’m not saying that your £800 quid isn’t well spent, just that some have low reliability expectations of what is a modern and expensive vehicle.
One of the many reasons that manufacturers and dealers take the piss at every opportunity.
I took the extended warranty out when I bought the van, iirc it was around £250 to extend the factory warranty from 3 years to 5 years, again a no brainer. At 5 yrs, I took out the “All in”. I got it when there was an offer on at £650 ish. So I’ll have had 7 years of warranty. So far it’s had a new head unit after the dreaded touch screen of death, and that’s it so far.

T32, 340mm front discs, all original pads and discs from new (2016).
Here’s the measurements from my last inspection (by me):

29 Nov 2022, 53576 miles; All wheels off for running gear and brake check

Front disc nominal 32.5mm, wear limit 29.5mm.

FNS;
Disc runout checked - OK.
Disc thickness - 31.50mm. Nom’
Both pads approx’ - 8mm.

FOS;
Disc thickness - 31.37mm
Both pads approx’ - 6 > 7mm.

Rear disc nominal 22.0mm, wear limit 19.9mm.

RNS;
Disc thickness - 21.0mm
Inner pad approx’ - 5mm
Outer pad approx’ - 6mm.

ROS;
Disc thickness - 20.87mm
Inner pad approx’ - 6mm
Outer pad approx’ - 8mm.

Try to drive the Alps to see how long they last . Or try to brake At 110mph when in Germany . They will not last long.

Try to drive the Alps to see how long they last . Or try to brake At 110mph when in Germany . They will not last long.
Funny you should mention that. We’ve just come back from 4 weeks in the Alps, our 4th such trip. The van has also towed a 2t boat to Croatia & twice to Portugal. So the brakes have probably seen more than your average use.

Good for your wallet! My T5 even worse! 4 set of disks in 100k miles! All OEM!

Took the Van for the Service it said was needed, although only on 4100 miles now. Dealership reset service indicator on Van, updated software and said ‘no charge’. Happy with that

Hi, I have a 72 plate T6, it was first registered July 29th 2022. I had a query dropped by my local dealer for advice. When there I asked about the servicing, it’s decided at the point of PDI as two how it’s set up wether it be yearly or two yearly or offcourse over mileage and yes from date of registrationnPDI.

I was delighted to know it was set on the 2yr cycle. Albeit first service is Oil & Fiter general check all function of lights brakes, gear change, clutch operation ETC and maybe? A Pollen filter which would add to the quote of £320.00 I think not. £320.00 for oil change and filter.

I will use another trusted Mechanic/Company and have them provide a written receipt, as we all know as long one utilises genuine parts VW aprooved filters ETC. We dont have to utilise the registered dealerships to keep up our warranty, no wonder VW dealerships have fancy coffe machines snacks on hand to go with. No wonder it’s £320.00 for oil change & oil filter. And I’d imagine there mechanics only get say £15.00 per hour at best to in wages. Even permitting £80.00 for oil and new filter. Where do they get off charging £320.00. Absolutely horrendous.
In a similar position, T6.1 150 DSG 71 plate showing oil service due at 9500 miles (not due for 114 days), on variable service I guess. Thought to call local VW van centre in NE England for a quote as this is first service and thinking about the warranty and software updates etc. A price of £390 was quoted . For an oil change! The guy was honest enough to state that the cost was due to their labour rate £130/hour. He also confirmed that warranty was not affected as long as vw parts used and work done according to schedule at vat registered garage. Alternatively, he would sell me two services and MOT for £790! Looks like I’ll be shopping elsewhere. A genuine service kit is available online for £100. A recall / required update was quoted for the ECU and OCU (SOS call availability fault). I expect I can book this in without having to fork out for a service?

Back