Sensor on back of rear view mirror

t6_tom

Sold!
T6 Pro
Does anyone know what the sensor in the picture does. I have my dash cam pretty close to it it and I don't think it's affected anything but keen to know anyway.

PXL_20210217_133802785.jpg

I think thats the main beam assist sensor (often referred to as HBA)

I’ve got a sensor on the back of mine (Highline without HBA) and I believe it to be the ambient light sensor for the auto dimming mirror. Can’t remember which side it’s on though.

It compares the ambient light level to the level being shone in through the rear window.

if you cover it and shine a torch at the mirror, it thinks it’s night time and dims.

I’ve got a sensor on the back of mine (Highline without HBA) and I believe it to be the ambient light sensor for the auto dimming mirror. It compares the ambient light level to the level being shone in through the rear window.

if you cover it and shine a torch at the mirror, it thinks it’s night time and dims.

Thanks. That makes some sense, i thought it was the HBA sensor like @Pauly but I tested driving at night with my hand covering it and the HBA was still working as normal.

Thanks all!

Dims the rearview mirror at night.

HBA sensor is above the RLS at the top middle of the mirror base.

Fwiw..

I have OEM LED. =)

Do not have HBA =(

I have a PV with solid bulkhead....so no need for a rear view mirror...

But I have one as its part of the factory vision pack, because the RVM contains sensors for the auto lights, and auto wipers.

Didn't bother with HBA option due to cost.... but now wish I did have it.

20210218_072245.jpg

HBA in my experience is a waste of time, too slow to react so blinds oncoming vehicles plus only works over a certain speed so in country lanes you generally aren’t going quick enough for it to work.

My experience was with Mercedes though so VW may be better but I didn’t spec it for the reasons above

Fwiw..

I have OEM LED. =)

Do not have HBA =(

But I have one as its part of the factory vision pack, because the RVM contains sensors for the auto lights, and auto wipers.

View attachment 104258
I’ve got it on my new car and it’s pretty good, although there can be a very slight delay of maybe half a second sometimes, which results in someone flashing you!

Fwiw..

I have OEM LED. =)

Do not have HBA =(

View attachment 104258
HBA can be retrofitted, I've done it and it's quick to react IMO

Back