Self inflicted...

JiMsHaDY69

T6 Guru
So it started out as a small scuff on the passenger's side rear wheel arch and gradually grew to this.
PXL_20220326_151305827.jpg
I could not figure out where the damage was coming from until today when I noticed that the sliding door interior panel had a small scuff mark.

Slid the door open slowly and lo and behold the door card was scratching the wheel arch. There was a pronounced bevel in the center of the panel.

Removed the door panel and this length of VW sound deadening? was jammed between the door frame and the door card and over time must have caused the panel to mishape.
PXL_20220326_151332746.jpg
It must have come loose when I tried to fit a Kiravans Door Store a few months ago when I refitted the door card and I just didn't notice it.

Need to get this and a mystery ding on the driver's lower panel (suspected shopping trolley ding) sorted out. So pissed off with myself on the wheel arch scratching...

Now need to get a new door card.

Any suggestions where I can pick up a ply replacement and not a full set of lining?

So it started out as a small scuff on the passenger's side rear wheel arch and gradually grew to this.
View attachment 150780
I could not figure out where the damage was coming from until today when I noticed that the sliding door interior panel had a small scuff mark.

Slid the door open slowly and lo and behold the door card was scratching the wheel arch. There was a pronounced bevel in the center of the panel.

Removed the door panel and this length of VW sound deadening? was jammed between the door frame and the door card and over time must have caused the panel to mishape.
View attachment 150781
It must have come loose when I tried to fit a Kiravans Door Store a few months ago when I refitted the door card and I just didn't notice it.

Need to get this and a mystery ding on the driver's lower panel (suspected shopping trolley ding) sorted out. So pissed off with myself on the wheel arch scratching...

Now need to get a new door card.

Any suggestions where I can pick up a ply replacement and not a full set of lining?
Are you just looking for a ply panel or a VW door card?

Are you just looking for a ply panel or a VW door card?
I had a quick look online yesterday and a single ply panel looks to be a bit of mission impossible as they're all sets, so may have to just replace with a VW door card until it's time to change all to carpeted ply.

I had a quick look online yesterday and a single ply panel looks to be a bit of mission impossible as they're all sets, so may have to just replace with a VW door card until it's time to change all to carpeted ply.
Is the rest of your van already carpeted? Buying, cutting and carpeting a piece of ply isn’t especially hard. Maybe getting the right shape if you don’t have a template could be challenging.

I have a spare carpeted panel, in black. I think you’re quite far away, however.

Is the rest of your van already carpeted? Buying, cutting and carpeting a piece of ply isn’t especially hard. Maybe getting the right shape if you don’t have a template could be challenging.

I have a spare carpeted panel, in black. I think you’re quite far away, however.
I appreciate the offer of the panel, but I'm in Glasgow and a fair distance from you. I haven't looked at ebay properly yet, so will look into that for a precut panel.

I appreciate the offer of the panel, but I'm in Glasgow and a fair distance from you. I haven't looked at ebay properly yet, so will look into that for a precut panel.
You just need the template, really. Any T6 owners local who would let you trace their panel?

If it would help, I can trace my panel onto some paper for you and send via the post.

Have you got the carpet to match your van?

You just need the template, really. Any T6 owners local who would let you trace their panel?

If it would help, I can trace my panel onto some paper for you and send via the post.

Have you got the carpet to match your van?
Great idea - trace and post!

Is it an option to get your door store card back in shape? Have you a pic?
If you go with the plywood panel can you use the door store as the template?

Thanks for all the replies folks. Nice to be part of an active and helpful community.

@RunDSG I haven't carpeted anything in the van so far. I thought that if I got a ply panel that I could have a go at carpeting that and sort the current issue of no door card. I have no ability to cut ply myself, so I'll purchase one precut.

@Paynewright Thanks for the suggestion. I'll wait and see if he replies on this post.

@paddy26 There's no issue with the door store other than it didn't fit due to additional metal tabs on my door. It's safely stored away right now. It was the original door card that became mishapen and I think it would be more trouble than it's worth to attempt to fix it. Easier to just replace.

Back