Seikel (Monroe) vs Bilstein

TassieT6

G'Day,

I'm planning to shortly install a lift kit on my 2016 4Motion Multivan (3080).
Current choices were I am in the world (Australia) are:

1. Kings Springs with Bilstein Struts/Shock absorbers.
2. Seikel kit with Monroe Struts/Shock absorbers.

I'm sure they are both good quality and fairly similar in terms of ride.

My question is more about the longevity of the Struts/Shock absorbers and whether any anybody has had reason to replace any of these aftermarket components and if it was easy or difficult.
I am also interested to hear if anybody has had any experience in obtaining parts like this outside of core T5/T6 areas, like Africa or Asia as I plan to travel abroad at some stage.

G'Day,

I'm planning to shortly install a lift kit on my 2016 4Motion Multivan (3080).
Current choices were I am in the world (Australia) are:

1. Kings Springs with Bilstein Struts/Shock absorbers.
2. Seikel kit with Monroe Struts/Shock absorbers.

I'm sure they are both good quality and fairly similar in terms of ride.

My question is more about the longevity of the Struts/Shock absorbers and whether any anybody has had reason to replace any of these aftermarket components and if it was easy or difficult.
I am also interested to hear if anybody has had any experience in obtaining parts like this outside of core T5/T6 areas, like Africa or Asia as I plan to travel abroad at some stage.
Hi there .
Many of the Seikel kits use KONI shocks which would be better than the other 2 mentions dampers . Better quality than MOnroe and more comfortable than the Bilstein . Howeveer to throw a cat in with the pidgeons have a think about another method of lifting the vehicle

I prefer to put a Lift spacer kit which is aluminium construction and fits above the rear spring and on top of the front spring . The advantages of this are as follows
1 The shock spring relationship is maintained as per original chassis ,
2 Uprated springs ( stiffer ) often push the suspension to its upper limits and the suspension tops out over bad bumps ,Hump back bridges etc .
3 If you intend to travel over land to foreign, places it will be easier to get standard size parts than special lift parts ( the spacers cant wear or break )
4 I used to recommend to my clients to carry a spare front and rear shock on board when doing trips over continents

I can send pictures of this if needed

Hi there .
Many of the Seikel kits use KONI shocks which would be better than the other 2 mentions dampers . Better quality than MOnroe and more comfortable than the Bilstein . Howeveer to throw a cat in with the pidgeons have a think about another method of lifting the vehicle

I prefer to put a Lift spacer kit which is aluminium construction and fits above the rear spring and on top of the front spring . The advantages of this are as follows
1 The shock spring relationship is maintained as per original chassis ,
2 Uprated springs ( stiffer ) often push the suspension to its upper limits and the suspension tops out over bad bumps ,Hump back bridges etc .
3 If you intend to travel over land to foreign, places it will be easier to get standard size parts than special lift parts ( the spacers cant wear or break )
4 I used to recommend to my clients to carry a spare front and rear shock on board when doing trips over continents

I can send pictures of this if needed

That’s an awesome idea and makes so much sense! But some questions pop into my mid:

- where can we get the right spacers for a 30mm lift? Any recommendations?
- is 30-35mm lift with spacers or lift kit going to void the warranty?
- any considerations to take into account regarding the weight, if bullbar & van conversion is done?

Some pictures of the spacers and van would be fantastic!

Thanks heaps!

I opted not to use spacers. Although they give lift they do not give additional travel, which was important for the type of driving I do. The same suspension travel criteria required the replacement of the original dampeners.
The other issue I had was that the original suspension couldn't carry the load (teenagers on the back seat) so spring replacement was necessary anyway.
In the end, I went with the Monroe version, Koni just wasn't available. The Bilsteins didn't give enough dampening.

I have fitted the full Seikel bash plate system as well. I have driven it on some fairly rough roads and I'm happy with the result.

Last edited:
I opted not to use spacers. Although they give lift they do not give additional travel, which was important for the type of driving I do. The same suspension travel criteria required the replacement of the original dampeners.
The other issue I had was that the original suspension couldn't carry the load (teenagers on the back seat) so spring replacement was necessary anyway.
In the end, I went with the Monroe version, Koni just wasn't available. The Bilsteins didn't give enough dampening.

I have fitted the full Seikel bash plate system as well. I have driven it on some fairly rough roads and I'm happy with the result.
If travel and articulation is needed. Think about removing the anti roll bars , more unrestricted travel will increase. Grip and traction.

If travel and articulation is needed. Think about removing the anti roll bars , more unrestricted travel will increase. Grip and traction.
The best addition to our Trakkadu 2015 T5.1 TDi400 4motion was the heavy duty sway bars!
1639535943250.jpeg

Fully agree with your comments at #2, the way we went.

For a vehicle that is only ever going to have a realistic usable maximum 280mm ground clearance how rough a roads is TassieT6 travelling on?

The best addition to our Trakkadu 2015 T5.1 TDi400 4motion was the heavy duty sway bars!
View attachment 139041

Fully agree with your comments at #2, the way we went.

For a vehicle that is only ever going to have a realistic usable maximum 280mm ground clearance how rough a roads is TassieT6 travelling on?
I fully agree ARB are a good addition to a Camper convert Van , BUT for serious off road use the roll bars don't help as they limit articulation of course .
Hence my comment

Back