Can I lift my T6 with suspension kit?

OYB is your build springs , 4 yellow.
Yours appear to have been changed for slightly heavier ones.
The peddler spring and shocks will definitely lift your van up .
If they weigh it they should have an idea how much.
I also wanted ground clearance as I go bush a fair bit too.
Seems like a few Aussie members have wanted more clearance as well by their posts on this forum.
I dont see many lowered Vans driving around here, in fact very rare.

I think lowering vans is a peculiarly British subculture, you certainly don’t see much of it on the continent, for example.

Thanks for that too.
My springs have no yellow dots, but grey-ish bands at rear and grey/green at front - photos attached.
Are your Pedder springs the red “Pedders Heavy Duty Coil Spring 7891” listed for T5/T6 on their current website?

Thanks, TTKT.
Thats a standard front spring marking and probably the most common one too

Thanks to all commenters so far. Here is a summary:

Testing our current springs and seeking replacements, May 2021

We have a 2019 T6 Transporter LWB 4-motion campervan conversion. We have confirmed that we have factory-fitted “Up-rated suspension” but the rear-end axle to wheel arch height of 420-430mm is a lot less than the 465mm-or-so seen on other T6 Transporter vans around town. The rear coil springs have 2 grey bands and are VW part number 7J0511115E.

Specs for these springs - I cannot find even through VW in Sydney - or Berlin.

So, trying to raise the rear – some helpful Forum user/s mentioned Pedders HD 7891 springs, which have a quoted “Rate” of 960 pounds per inch. So I wanted to find out – how does this compare with what I already have?

I made a device to test some springs and compare their specs – so as to find out if the Pedders springs would be an improvement. There were 2 competing products – King springs KVRR18 at 1050 lb/inch and KVRR18 HD at 1150 lb/inch.

For practical and safety reasons I was not going to load the test springs to the full travel seen in the vehicle. But I made a device that was essentially a steel beam hinged to my house’s brick wall, with a reinforced wooden box to contain the spring and allow the beam to press down on it at a point 1/5 along it – and add weights up to 75kg at the outer end, meaning I was loading the springs with 5 times that, i.e. 375kg (about 825 pounds /lb). The compression distance was measured by averaging from 6 points around the rim of my pine box, at each stage, the distance from the rim down to the floating plywood compression end-plate.

Keeping the weights low was somewhat inspired by (1) cracked brick face on the house wall when I didn’t use enough anchor bolts for the pivot bracket; and (2) cracking of the first top plate when it was 19mm pine; 20mm 7-Ply was much stronger.

Anyway – the results:

Average rate for the VW 7J0511115E for a 0 - 135kg load = 5.3 kg/mm or 295 lb/inch.

Average rate for the VW 7J0511115E for a 0 - 375kg load = 7.2 kg/mm or 401 lb/inch.

(Maximum compression seen was 52mm)

Average rate for the Pedders 7891 for a 0 - 135kg load = 7.7 kg/mm or 433 lb/inch.

Average rate for the Pedders 7891 for a 0 - 375kg load = 10.2 kg/mm or 571 lb/inch.

(Maximum compression seen was 37mm)

So: the result of this (very superficial) test is:

At these modest loads at least, the Pedder 7891 requires more weight per compression distance than the VW 7J0511115E, by a factor of 46% at 135kg load; and 42% at 375kg load. I hope this translates to the heavier loads!

And now, as I have as a result of all this, decided to have the Pedders 7891s fitted, I hope this does translate into a useful increase in the Van’s height – wish me luck!

I’ll post the outcome in a week when the new springs are fitted.

Meanwhile - If anyone in Perth wants to use my test rig to see how their own springs compare – let me know!

Cheers, Tim.

TP20210601_Spring_Test_01.JPG

TP20210601_Spring_Test_02.JPG

Hi Tim

In my humble opinion you are very ingeniously over thinking the problem .

The standard rear springs on your van are quite capable of carrying the weight of the camper ( 800 Kilos ?? ) but they cant do it at the standard height . In other words they are too short at the moment , In uk we fit spring distance spacers above the rear coil and space the van back up to where it need s to be , we do hundreds of them and they are very capable and comfortable , Albeit we fit KONI shocks to all of them and that sorts a lot of other transporter issues out as well .
We have removed several heavy duty springs form Transporters , fitted for the wrong reasons because the thicker material used doesnt allow a nice fit in to the spring seats and they make noises on to the chassis and swing arms ?
Remember the fitting of stronger springs that can carry more than a ton will result in the rear getting hard and bouncy . ( the problem all T 32 vans have when they are un loaded is that they bounce around because the spring is too hard and the standard shock cant control it well )
Good luck .

Hi Tim

In my humble opinion you are very ingeniously over thinking the problem .

The standard rear springs on your van are quite capable of carrying the weight of the camper ( 800 Kilos ?? ) but they cant do it at the standard height . In other words they are too short at the moment , In uk we fit spring distance spacers above the rear coil and space the van back up to where it need s to be , we do hundreds of them and they are very capable and comfortable , Albeit we fit KONI shocks to all of them and that sorts a lot of other transporter issues out as well .
We have removed several heavy duty springs form Transporters , fitted for the wrong reasons because the thicker material used doesnt allow a nice fit in to the spring seats and they make noises on to the chassis and swing arms ?
Remember the fitting of stronger springs that can carry more than a ton will result in the rear getting hard and bouncy . ( the problem all T 32 vans have when they are un loaded is that they bounce around because the spring is too hard and the standard shock cant control it well )
Good luck .
Hi - I appreciate the logic in this suggestion, thanks - but I've gone with the HD springs option for now, it can always be un-done if I have created a monster. See my next post, a general update after doing the springs and shocks (and airbags). Regards, Tim.

OUTCOME of rear spring change t6 campervan . . . Perth, Western Australia.
Ok. Now I have had the Pedders 7891 rear coil springs fitted together with Pedders 495-series air-assist bags. These are blue and fit inside the coil spring filled with air from 5psi (to retain their shape) to 60psi.

The airbags seem to incorporate a spacer of (I was told) 8mm or so. Fitting was apparently a hard job although the springs are only 6mm taller than the originals, the mechanics had to release the drive shafts to allow the wishbones to drop far enough.

Note – in case the springs did not give adequate lift, I had made up two 25mm thick solid nylon spacers (150mm diameter) but these were not needed.

The RESULT - a rear lift of 60mm which brings the rear axle-centre-to-wheel arch height to 485mm on left and 480mm on right (where the heaviest fixed loads are fitted).

This lift seems to be similar to what AussieMick reported (raised 60mm above the “sagged” height.)

This compares well with the (presumably-un-loaded) measures of 480-490mm on T6 Transporters seen on the street and in car-sales yards. So now I have “normal” clearance and I should be able to use the air-bags to raise it a bit if I am towing a load.

Now, the ride on bitumen is good, firm but comfortable. However it will be interesting when back on the gravel to find out if it’s any nastier than usual on corrugations. If so, then reducing speed and tyre pressure may be needed more than they have been.

The only down-side so far, is that the under-body water tank now slopes the wrong way so I am now considering spacers for a smaller lift at the front to bring it back to level (front heights are about 465mm). The water tank is a new custom-designed on that is 33mm shallower than the original, but the same capacity. Diagram available if anyone wants to get one made.

Thanks to anyone who’s been interested. I’d be happy to consider selling the supposedly-Heavy Duty VW rear springs (Part number 7J0511115E, 2 grey bands, current new price is $286 each). Probably I won’t be posting them to the UK though.
Regards, Tim.

I am up in the Flinders ranges at this moment and can report on my van that traveling on corregations is no problem, not harsh at all especially if you get the road speed correct and of course they are not those awful deep ones that are close together.
I am towing a trailer and have been on quite a few dirt roads so hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.

I am up in the Flinders ranges at this moment and can report on my van that traveling on corregations is no problem, not harsh at all especially if you get the road speed correct and of course they are not those awful deep ones that are close together.
I am towing a trailer and have been on quite a few dirt roads so hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.

I’m very jealous of your big open spaces in Australia! Finding anything resembling a wilderness in the UK is a challenge, and especially this summer, everywhere is going to be full to the brim of people complaining they’re not in Ibiza!

Haha! We have the same problem here along the coast, crowded ++ right now. Inland is usually different. I'm hoping most others are still not interested in the flat bushland and the old abandoned railway lines. As you can see from attached travels map in the van, mostly inland. The worst-corrugated road was the lower-western half of the South Australian loop - especially when the power steering hose became disconnected from the steering rack! It sometimes takes a while to find the "magic speed" for comfort on a corrugated road, and on some roads there is none. That's where we'll find out if the springs are too hard. Cheers, Tim.

VW_Inreach_Tracks_2019-21.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement :) We hope to be back there in September this year.

Hi @t0mb0, everywhere has different attractions, there is plenty to see and do in the UK and hopefully you can travel over to Europe if you want when covid is a thing of the past.
Our state borders close when covid rears its head and at best we can only travel to unaffected areas and at worst lockdowns again.

A final update on the rear lift: 60mm, Pedders 7891 rear coil springs + Pedders 495-series air-assist bags.
The ride at rear is a little firmer than the front (e.g. driving over cats-eye lane markers) but on a rough, potholed and corrugated gravel road it is just fine.
Now I have to move on to the front end . . .
Thanks for all comments.

Hi Guys,

My current standard shocks are destroyed from corrugations and pot holes and in desperate need of replacement.
Looking at lifting my T6. Seikel kits have at least a 3 month wait so im considering King springs with either Bilstien B6 or Koni Standard adjustable.

Its near impossible to find out if this change will give a level 30mm lift front and rear. King springs have told me the only data they have from this kit on a T6 is from a mid wheelbase Multivan which achieved Front - 485mm and rear - 510mm.

Does anyone have King spring lift measurements from centre hub to wheel arch.

My measurements:
2017 T6 LWB 4motion (T30 (GVM 3000kg))
Maybe 50kg of gear in the back, so basically empty.
Centre Hub to wheel arch.
Front - 450mm
Rear - 445mm

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi. I appreciate the interest in this thread, I’m done with it as my van is now fixed, but just have this one comment on this post -

Front – nothing useful to add (as I used UK-sourced 25mm spacers without changing springs).

Rear – my over-loaded campervan conversion went from 425mm centre-to-arch measurement to 485mm using Pedder HD 7891 springs, no spacers. That’s a lift of 60mm, it looks level, and there’s no excessive harshness in the ride.

Quoted rates on some springs were –

Pedders HD 7891 - 960 pounds per inch.

King springs KVRR18 – 1050 pounds per inch

King Springs KVRR18 HD - 1150 pounds per inch.

SO – If I got 60mm lift with the Pedders, I might expect maybe (1050/950) x 60 = 66mm using the KVRR18s; or maybe (1150/960) x 60 = 72mm with the KVRR18 HD. But is that legal, with/without bigger A/T tyres? Your call.

The tougher the spring, the harsher the ride. Spacers might be a better way to go. The average handyman could fit rear spacers without special tools.

Incidentally, the front-lift kit I bought from the UK included beautifully-machined aluminium 25mm rear spacers that I am not using, I can sell them on cheap if anyone decided to try them rather than try an unknown spring, definitely a cheaper option if one only wants another 25mm.

Regards, Tim.

Great info on the springs,

I went the 30mm Sekiel lift route and 225/65/R17 as legally i can only have max 50mm lift including tyres in QLD

No real issues after around 60000km as a camper

Just to add my 2 bobs worth , I had a sagging rear after the camper conversion,
I had the pedders Springs and matching shocks fitted. This lifted my van back to a good height. I have traveled pretty extensively with it on all sorts of roads around Australia and the ride comfort is good.
But these Springs are designed for a T5 or T6 that carries a lot of weight.
I dont know how they would be with a lightly loaded van as they are a heavy duty spring set.
Also if fitting Springs you should also fit correct shockers as well, pedders have a matching set.
So from my experience I have much better ground clearance, a good ride on all roads dirt and bitumen so am glad I fitted them. 20200727_135529.jpg

Back