Seeking advice before I go and buy a T6 for the family.

David_Sweden

Crash Test Dummy
T6 Pro
Hello, seeking advice before I go and buy a T6 for the family.

Interested in buying a T6, 2016.
The one i´m looking at:
Mojave beige
140000km
2.0 TDI (150hp)
Manual gearbox

- Are there any known pitfalls on this engine/gearbox combo. I have read some threads regarding the dual mass fly wheel?

- I purposly looked for a manual van since I wanted to avoid the DSG gearbox, I have read alot about problems regarding
that gearbox in swedish car magazines. I mostly drive on highways and have only driven manual in the past.
Will this choice reduce potential probems i.e. are a manual more "bullet proof" than a DSG?

- What do you think of this as a family car?
In Sweden where I live it´s not that common with VW vans as family cars, the cars of chioce are small SUV:s and of course
the gold standard Volvo station wagons. However we are expecting twins and to squeeze three (we also have a 4 year old)
child seats into our XC70 will be a real pain.

- Are there any good buyes guides available somewhere?

multivan.jpg

Hi and welcome!

In the uk the km might be viewed as “high” for a 4-5 year old van. However, it may suggest that it did mainly motorway work.
If you are a fan of the Isofix connections for the car seats, as I am, check that three seats will have them. Ideally, you should look for seats on rails so that you can adjust positions in the van, or add additional seats.
We went for a California Beach (ie no kitchen etc) as it provides the most versatility. Ours is our family car for two boys and two dogs. I wish I’d bought one when children first arrived as they are the easiest way to accommodate all that “baby stuff” and prams etc!

Good luck with it!

Hi and welcome!

In the uk the km might be viewed as “high” for a 4-5 year old van. However, it may suggest that it did mainly motorway work.
If you are a fan of the Isofix connections for the car seats, as I am, check that three seats will have them. Ideally, you should look for seats on rails so that you can adjust positions in the van, or add additional seats.
We went for a California Beach (ie no kitchen etc) as it provides the most versatility. Ours is our family car for two boys and two dogs. I wish I’d bought one when children first arrived as they are the easiest way to accommodate all that “baby stuff” and prams etc!

Good luck with it!

Thanks!
Yes the milage are on the high side but I cant really afford a lower milage one.
I would have to pay £45.000 for a 4-50000km van here in Sweden, this one that I´m looking at costs £25.000.
So it´s somewhere around £20.000 to knock of 90000km.

Good point with the isofix:es, I will be sure to double check that.

It has the "seats on rails" so thats good, it also has a integrated child seat on the outer chair.
Could be useful if we bring a friend to the kids with us.
multivan.2.jpg

I wouldn't worry about the DSG remember you haven't read about all the hundreds of thousands of happy users.

Hi David
welcome to the forum, I’m not an expert I’m afraid but for what it’s worth that looks like a great vehicle, I wouldn’t worry about the stories or the fors and against for manual or automatic, they are both great gearboxes, the DSG will cost more initially, I have had both, I prefer the DSG as it’s better around town for my disability but I liked the manual, mileage is like age somethings improve, better a well used serviced engine than a left for months between each trip and years between each service, as long as you can handle the disapproval from the neighbours and the rest of Sweden then you Should definitely buy a VW

Hi David
welcome to the forum, I’m not an expert I’m afraid but for what it’s worth that looks like a great vehicle, I wouldn’t worry about the stories or the fors and against for manual or automatic, they are both great gearboxes, the DSG will cost more initially, I have had both, I prefer the DSG as it’s better around town for my disability but I liked the manual, mileage is like age somethings improve, better a well used serviced engine than a left for months between each trip and years between each service, as long as you can handle the disapproval from the neighbours and the rest of Sweden then you Should definitely buy a VW

Thanks!
Yes milage is ofcourse a big thing but with twins on the way the wallet have to decide. :)
Maintenance is key, if looked after properly the 2.0TDI should last.

These are the perfect family car. Far better than a big estate. 3 kids and a dog and all their stuff no problems at all. Plus they come in to their own for camping trips (even with no pop-top).
The photos you posted above show the van has at least isofix on the middle right seat (that's what that little blurred label says). So safe to assume it is the same on the middle right.
My rear bench does not as I have the sleeping/bed pack. Not sure standard rear bench does.

Maintenance history is key. Yes its a higher mileage but to a well maintained vehicle it would be fine. Dont worry about DSG but again check services are within the VW schedules of 38K. Dual mass flywheel issues? yes, they all can suffer from them but usually dependent on how the clutch has been used. Listen for rattles on start-up or vibrations at idle etc. Good luck in your search.

Thanks for all answers, really good information!!!

Another question how would it be to drive a 75kw/101hp T6 Caravelle. Found one of those but with only 55000km at a cheaper price (£19.000).
However the lower trim level and non sliding and not as good seats together with the much less powerful engine kind of scares me away. :)
Any input to this ;)

Thanks for all answers, really good information!!!

Another question how would it be to drive a 75kw/101hp T6 Caravelle. Found one of those but with only 55000km at a cheaper price (£19.000).
However the lower trim level and non sliding and not as good seats together with the much less powerful engine kind of scares me away. :)
Any input to this ;)
Go for the higher powered van! Just had a look at your second pic....those individual seats will have the isofix and I think there are 2 x isofix on the “bench” seat behind!

Welcome to T6F!

Automatics have come on leaps and bounds over the years when you compare them to the ones fitted in the 80's and 90's, they are certainly in the majority of higher end vehicles and they don't suffer the issues so much of yesteryear, so long as they are looked after.
The 6speed gearbox is more desirable than the 5speed and if it has been used to tow heavy loads on a 5 speed box be a bit wary....but that depends on how it has been driven of course.The tow bar can easily be removed prior to sale so it can be difficult to tell.....maybe worth a check.

Good luck.....good choice!

If I can give you any advice the thing I wished I had on my van is twin sliding doors because if you travel as single parent it’s a pain with the door only on the opposite side

Back