Seat base sockets

z1ts

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Good day - looking for some advice/ideas/inspiration

I have OEM seat base plastic covers/trim on the rear as below image (not my van - stock image)

I have 240v and USB sockets (CBE type frame & sockets etc.) to install in the rear of the passenger seat base.

How have others done this - do you have to put a piece of ply/similar in the back of the seat base or can you put them in the plastic?

Thanks in advance!

1640713919-0ac8dbbbb2c4d0a67efd38694539e52a.jpg

I replaced mine with 9mm plywood and then created a further plywood mount (2 x 18mm) for the mains socket.
Carpeted over (did both parts seperately, screwed and glued together) then attached complete cover with magnets.
Did it this way, as didn’t have the room to mount flush with the inverter and heater under the seatbase.

IMG_0891.jpeg

Thanks loads for that, I like the look of the carpet - that's got me thinking!

Has anyone direct mounted to the OEM plastics? (I don't have underseat batttery/inverter/heater etc. so space isn't an issue)

I replaced mine with 9mm plywood and then created a further plywood mount (2 x 18mm) for the mains socket.
Carpeted over (did both parts seperately, screwed and glued together) then attached complete cover with magnets.
Did it this way, as didn’t have the room to mount flush with the inverter and heater under the seatbase.

View attachment 232147

View attachment 232147

Woah I have one of those inverters, but always assumed it was too large to fit under the seat! Did you need to angle that to make it fit? Got any more pics?

Thanks,

Tom

Woah I have one of those inverters, but always assumed it was too large to fit under the seat! Did you need to angle that to make it fit? Got any more pics?

Thanks,

Tom
It’s raised on wooden “stilts”: Larger fuses and wiring underneath. Still have the required clearance (from the installation manual) and can remove the front plug in situ if I wanted to. Had to bring the 12v wiring out at right angles: Insulated the positive o/p with a decent amount of cloth tape.

IMG_0874.jpegIMG_20231029_143840_182.jpeg

IMG_2579.jpegI’ve done a usb. I liked the idea of keeping the plastic as it recessed the socket so less chance of it being kicked.

IMG_2491.jpeg

Thanks for that, however I already have the OEM plastics which I think have a deeper (and smaller?) recess and I'm just curious to see if anyone has a 240v socket in theirs and whether you can satisfactorily plug things into it!

View attachment 232172

Back