Seat base FRONT panels for storage?

roadtripper

2021 Caravelle Executive
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I've seen lots of ideas (and suppliers) of panels to replace the factory ones on the rear of seat bases but what are folks doing for the front of seat bases and are there any suppliers (for an easy life)?

Why?
  • On the drivers side I have a lot of space and I'd quite like to use that for storing the NoCo jump start, but I don't want it shooting forward under heavy braking and ending up around the pedals
  • On the passenger side MrsR has a habit of shoving stuff back behind her feet on roadtrips, I'm forever fishing food packets and tissue out of the same area in the XC70 but the main wiring in the Caravelle there feels very vulnerable...

I'm considering these folks

As one of the bespoke shapes would work I think, these aren't accurate measurements just estimates to see rough prices. This is 3mm frosted black perspex.

Screenshot_20231004-182152-01.jpeg

My thinking is to get a couple of knurled thumb nuts and attach a bolt to a couple more strips of either wood or perspex to form a locating clamp either side.

I'm trying to remember how friendly perspex is to drill...

Last edited:
My thinking is to get a couple of knurled thumb nuts and attache a bolt to a couple more strips of either wood or perspex to form a locating clamp either side.

I'm trying to remember how friendly perspex is to drill...
Good idea to use Perspex or polycarbonate
Why not use either strong magnets, or even Velcro to fasten the front panels?

I've carpeted a piece of ply to match the front profile of the seat base, then fitted an evo type push button catch that latches behind the inside top front of the base - you have to push it down quite hard into the matting to get the catch to clear but it works fine

Good idea to use Perspex or polycarbonate
Why not use either strong magnets, or even Velcro to fasten the front panels?
My concern here is not just have a nice front to protect wiring, on the drivers side I want to store the jump pack so it might need to hold back a reasonable force under heavy braking if the worst happens.

I've carpeted a piece of ply to match the front profile of the seat base, then fitted an evo type push button catch that latches behind the inside top front of the base - you have to push it down quite hard into the matting to get the catch to clear but it works fine
I'd not thought of the catches, and I have two in the kitchen pod. That deserves some though indeed... :thumbsup:

What sort of thickness ply? I've got some thin ply offcut from lining a shed in temporarily but it's a bit flexible.

I’ve used 9mm hardwood ply for my seat base rear covers. Haven’t fitted them yet, as I’ve got some cut outs still to do, but they are rigid.
if you do use ply, then you could even think about boxing in the area under the seat you are using for storage and have a drop down door; line it with stretch carpet it could look very good.

I've got a very basic fix for this. A thinnish piece of OSB (from an offcut, maybe 8mm thick?) slotted into the gap in the frame. I have a piece for each seat. It's very heath robinson but now gives me somewhere easy to put some items and it's not visible anyway

It's a slight faff to have to remove and replace it but I rarely use it. If you slide the seat back you access some of the insides from above

Yes I've got a bit of 5mm ish ply offcut in there right now, wedged into the gap between the 2 bits of steel on the sides. Good enough to stop me worrying about the jump pack just behind it, but not quite giving me the "I'm so glad I bought a van instead of a house extension" interior vibe I was after...

I guess some rattle can black paint would help.

Longer term I may well tidy the wiring and make more use of the area, either for a battery or storage, but for now I want it mostly stock but just a bit tidier so something that will clip in and doesn't need drilling into the bases just in case things change and we need to sell the van.

20231005_101611.JPG

That's a nice job, thanks a picture explains a 1000 words :thumbsup:

I guess the other advantage of carpet is it stops the rattles and gives a bit of sprung fitting play?

I’ve been looking at doing the same as I use the space under the passenger captain seat to store the jack etc. I’m planning to use some ply (painted or carpeted black) attached with elastic loops to some tarpaulin buttons attached to the seat base side. I think this will be simple, quick to use, rattle free and secure.

Example of the buttons:
Buttons

Back