Search For A T6

After a T6 preferably a Kombi or a Shuttle or a modded AC van with rear seats.
I am struggling with the prices and the depreciation - or lack of with mileage and age.

Am I being unrealistic in looking for a 2017ish sub 50k miles T6 for £16/17K?

I'm caught between a good deal on a spanking 6.1 van @ £23+ and a demo Kombi at £26k from dealers both stretch my budget and leave me nothing to kit it out as a day van.

I looked at Vanmonster for example but they are £21k for a used, same as Arnold Clark for a year old Shuttle.

Am I looking in the wrong places, or just way off with budget?

Thanks

Your starting search criteria were the same as mine a couple of months ago, I quickly learned that it was not reasonable. Yes a deal might pop up but I needed to buy a van so after a month of looking I bought the best I could find. For a 3 year old Shuttle with 50k on the clock you are looking at around £20k.

I know this is classed as swearing to some of you hardcore VW owners and i may be exiled for saying so....but if your budget really cant stretch then you could buy a fully spec'd .............urm Transit Custom double cab.
I nearly did but a Kombi popped up just in time with the wheels i love already fitted.......win win

No way a Transit - my mates one went belly up at 47k and cost £7k to fix - and his is one of many that Ford decided not to recall and dodge the warranty apparently.

So choices are narrowing to upping budget or buying a Van I like and doing a Kombi conversion.

Might be a different thread, but Kombi conversion - seats are everywhere, what about the strengthening bit and any insurance woes or just bolt and go?
Happy with doing the windows as I used to fit sunroofs for Volvo a long time ago when Webasto was a thing.

No way a Transit - my mates one went belly up at 47k and cost £7k to fix - and his is one of many that Ford decided not to recall and dodge the warranty apparently.

Thought i might get that reaction...lol
Just another thought.......are you happy to do van speeds or would you like car speeds.......There are a lot of people on here who are having major hassle with van reclassification and being limited on speed. Might be worth buying a Factory Kombi under the 2040kg weight limit to start with if that's going to be a factor.

I was in a similar situation and I’m
not keen on dealers so I looked at Hertz vans. They’re one of the few hire companies who don’t sell on to auction. They have the vans for 9 months or so and then sell on themselves. Their 102 highline PVs go for around 14 400 + Vat. I reckon People drive hire vehicles more carefully now and they mostly had 25 000 ish miles so probably done a lot of motorway journeys which is good. You can have the van for 5 days and if you don’t want it you pay the rental fee. It’s a chance to have it checked out by your mechanic.

You could also try auction. A lot are ex lease or ex hire and these will end up on the forecourt anyway. You can call Manhiem and ask for the common auction price on the vans youre interested in and they’ll give you a CAP clean and CAP average. You’ll need to add buyers fee and VAT. The CAP does vary but I was reckoning on about 10-11k for a pv and 14-16 Kombi. 150ps and the price jumps. That’s highline spec for both.

Weirdly I ended up buying a T6 Kombi from a Vw dealership. It was 17400 no VAT 30000 miles and although I had reservations I went for it. But bloody hell. I might as well have bought from some crook down a back lane. They’ve lied, they’ve not provided info I’ve asked for, I’ve noticed collision damage, clutch not right, leaking window, multipoint check not all done, and more.... Had to take it up with VW...BUT gross vans do come up and worth jumping on but I should have driven a few first...

good luck with it and like others say I think converting a pv to Kombi is not too big a deal. I was perfectly happy to do but it would have cost me quite a lot in time

Good tips - I'll have a look at all of these!

Still not found the Holy Grail yet, not like me to have £20k burning a hole :)

I got mine from Vw van centre Liverpool
Might be worth keeping an eye on their site, they have a large stock /turnover of vans, and they sell quick as prices are competitive

I spent months on eBay every day of the week continuously searching, the odd cheap van does pop up but you need to react quick... I missed out on a couple myself. I ended up getting a 16 plate beginning of last year in mint condition, I’ve had it lowered, 20” rims, full elec hook up, diesel heater, lined, carpeted, sound proofed, rock n roll bed etc for under 20k which I thought wasn’t bad. Although it’s not a full conversion it’s a day van.

Pulled the trigger on a T6 SWB Shuttle SE which seem to be fairly rare in SWB .
Went screaming over budget but its done and I'm happy with the level of spec and its a 150bhp 6 speed - so that's the best of the bunch for my needs.
Now I'm on the hunt for coilovers, spoilers, 20s, and getting rid of the fish tank look with some window tints.

Pulled the trigger on a T6 SWB Shuttle SE which seem to be fairly rare in SWB .
Went screaming over budget but its done and I'm happy with the level of spec and its a 150bhp 6 speed - so that's the best of the bunch for my needs.
Now I'm on the hunt for coilovers, spoilers, 20s, and getting rid of the fish tank look with some window tints.
Couldn’t agree more on the window tints, I got the garage to do my LWB Shuttle before I even picked it up! It completely changes the look of it.

I’ve spent the last 6 months researching and looking for a T6. In the end found a 2018 Kombi Edition with 11k at main dealer for £25900 including vat. Approx £21500 + vat. looked at having Kombi conversion done to basic van but overall costs were similar. Kombi interiors are plentiful on EBay but if you want a single front passenger seat these are going for silly money. If you want satnav this is very expensive to add later on so needs budgeting for. Personally I’d say get the best base vehicle you can afford with as many options included.
A highline is a good base. Hope that’s of some help.

We have a 16 black Highline 102ps with no vat and low miles. With a Kombi kit and some goodies we should be able to keep it under the £20k?

we also have a 17 plate white 102 coming in. More miles but will still be under your budget after conversion.

We have a 16 black Highline 102ps with no vat and low miles. With a Kombi kit and some goodies we should be able to keep it under the £20k?

we also have a 17 plate white 102 coming in. More miles but will still be under your budget after conversion.
Hi, could you give me more info on the black highline?
What’s the bodywork like, tailgate/barndoor, mileage, fsh, what things are you thinking you could add and what does it already have?
Cheers Gareth

Back