Search For A T6

Spencer54

T6 Pro
After a T6 preferably a Kombi or a Shuttle or a modded AC van with rear seats.
I am struggling with the prices and the depreciation - or lack of with mileage and age.

Am I being unrealistic in looking for a 2017ish sub 50k miles T6 for £16/17K?

I'm caught between a good deal on a spanking 6.1 van @ £23+ and a demo Kombi at £26k from dealers both stretch my budget and leave me nothing to kit it out as a day van.

I looked at Vanmonster for example but they are £21k for a used, same as Arnold Clark for a year old Shuttle.

Am I looking in the wrong places, or just way off with budget?

Thanks

Cracking contract hire prices available if you're VAT registered or PCP if not....

I feel your pain.
Took me ages to find my van......and i had to stretch my funds to do so too. (and it stretches my funds every day too with mods)
I find the VW Transporter market to be an odd one. There does not seem to be a reliable pricing structure for them.......especially if your buying from a private seller.
From a dealer selling a std stock vehicle then the prices seem to level out....but anything slightly spec'd or modded reach some serious prices.

Glad its not just me then - it feels like the difference between new and 3 years old with 30k on the clock is negligible.
Dealers are doing killer deals on new so much that used is more expensive, I've been through three main dealers and got the same answer.
Then private sellers are as much if not more expensive than a dealer.

I really want to leave myself enough to do the minimal lowering and wheels etc - looks like that's not going to happen.

My search went on for months........hang in there.......one will pop up.
Also don't underestimate the cost of wheels and lowering.......that sh#t can get expensive.
One might pop up with wheels and ride height you want for an extra grand but would be worth it. Would be more than double that to do it yourself.

I bought my 2017 LWB Highline Kombi 150bhp a year ago with 40k on the clock. £22.5k with the VAT paid. Only had light use (no builders loads). Friend bought professionally converted 2016 140 SWB day van recently for £19k. Chipped, lined, leisure battery, lowered, 19" wheels, stereo upgrade, r&r bed.
A bit more than you want but my friends has all the major work done.

I found an unusual spec van (2018, 9 seater startline window van, a/c and parking, 600 miles) for 21.5k from the dealers ex demonstrator.

Good deals do pop up. Also, on the VW website look out for Gross non vat qualifying. These are usually privately purchased vehicles where the owner hasn’t claimed the VAT back, so the dealer cannot charge for it again.

That Kombi is perfect - but wipes out my budget at £20k this is my issue.
If I could do like you guys say and find one wheeled and lowered for that game on.
Alternatively £1500 cheaper and I'll deal with it myself.

This is the issue is that £20k is main dealer yet Private people want the same ££££.
Makes it hard to find a winner - well so far anyway.

I thought I might be looking for a Unicorn, and accept I need more budget - but you reckon if I hang tight one will show up I'll keep looking.

I’d say put up the money for the best base van you want initially. You can do modifications down the line but cannot change the spec / age / mileage in the future

I had a similar budget and problem. I got a 68 plate highline for £19200 from VW Manchester, I got the minimum of £5000 on finance which will cost approximately £400 in interest, but with this I get a major and a minor service included. This left me with £5000 to start my conversion.

I blew my budget as i set out intending to buy an older T5.1...but my T6 turned up for sale privately. It was more money than I wanted to spend, but it's has a lot of the stuff done that I would have done myself so for me was a win-win.

I've started looking the other way like a 5.1 instead of a 6 as it might be more realistic.

Only issue with that is a T5 with that kind of mileage commands a premium which puts it back on par with an early T6.
So that felt like a lose/lose situation.

I'm thinking that despite there being literally thousands of these for sale - finding the one is the charm.
Some kind of internet dating app for you and your VW needs to be found.

Personally I'd always go for the best spec lowest mileage newest van you can afford, even if it blows your budget. You can drive around in it for a year or so while you save some coins to convert it or just do bits as and when you can afford.

My first transporter, I just took my mattress and duvet out of the house and chucked in the back, I had a wee electric fridge and gas stove. It was great for a weekend away. I slowly converted it over the years.
You'll have a better van in the end.
Just my tuppence worth .

Personally I'd always go for the best spec lowest mileage newest van you can afford, even if it blows your budget. You can drive around in it for a year or so while you save some coins to convert it or just do bits as and when you can afford.

My first transporter, I just took my mattress and duvet out of the house and chucked in the back, I had a wee electric fridge and gas stove. It was great for a weekend away. I slowly converted it over the years.
You'll have a better van in the end.
Just my tuppence worth .
Spend on the base van!! Mods can come later. Don’t forget LED headlights and the DSG is another good addition!!

LED Headlights and DSG are budget destroyers - they have a habit of putting 20% on something that needs 20% on.
I do get it though as I'd love the DSG, but all that does is get you same same vehicle two years older and 40k more miles.

I do get it though DSG would be an impossible upgrade so if you wanted that you'd need to be #3 on the shortlist.
LED can be bolted on, but not cheap.

So better spec base van and add the Kombi later or Kombi from the start?

LED Headlights and DSG are budget destroyers - they have a habit of putting 20% on something that needs 20% on.
I do get it though as I'd love the DSG, but all that does is get you same same vehicle two years older and 40k more miles.

I do get it though DSG would be an impossible upgrade so if you wanted that you'd need to be #3 on the shortlist.
LED can be bolted on, but not cheap.

So better spec base van and add the Kombi later or Kombi from the start?
I get it, what engine you looking at? Depends what you want out of your van. I went kombi straight off... the H4 lights are bad...

I was going to get a new van then convert to kombi spec but found the one I have with all the seats / windows in already for the same money I had to spend converting a van.

As others have said buy the best base vehicle you can and go from there. There seems to be a lot of seats around so maybe a bargain to be had.

There are also lots of businesses around that buy vans, keep them 12 months or lease them 12 months then sell on. I nearly bought one like this from T&W motors in Bolton. Its been discussed before but be sure you have full title / ownership of the vehicle if you go this route. I think @BognorMotors sell vans like this too.

Ian

Last edited:
600-800 for a full kombi interior, maybe. Then cut the windows in and buy after market ones...

I spent 18 months or so researching the vehicle and choosing the conversion company. But I have stretched myself very thin for it!!!

Back