Scottish Islands

EcosseExile

T6 Pro
We were planning on going to Ireland next year but with Brexit getting the dogs over could be hassle, so we've shelved that for a year.

Anyway, new plan is to visit the Scottish Islands. We were thinking Orkney or Harris and Lewis.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations.

Thanks,
Martin.

Orkney isles miles better than Lewis or Harris imho. If the weather is not kind to you far more to see and do in orkney. People are so friendly and some cracking local food to sample. Don't get me wrong Harris is very rugged and the beach at luskentyre stunning.

The other consideration is just how many other folks will be in a similar position, highlands in general is going struggle with tourist infrastructure and facilities if visitor numbers keep going up.

Other options I'd consider before Lewis and harris would be islay, mull and tiree.

Orkney is amazing, worth spending time to see some of the outer isles too as well as the mainland. Loads of opportunity for wild camping as long as you’re considerate about it.

I’ve never been to the Western isles, but definitely will do some day.

Nearly back from 7 weeks in Scotland, The Orkneys (South Ronaldsay, Mainland, Sanday, Hoy and Westray). Saw the northern lights from Broch of Gurness. Then back to Scrabster and followed the NC500 before hoping over to Harris and Lewis for a week. Did all the Outer Hebrides last October with Mull and Arran. Then down the coast to Skye and Moydart.

We really liked Orkney but Harris and South Lewis are our favourites. Lots more to them than just Luskentyre. Cnip (Kneep) beach, Huishnish, Carnais Beach, Callinish, Rhenigadale, The Scallop Shack near Miaveg, nice walks, golden and sea eagles.

Hoy was probably our favourite Orkney island.

You can see our route and places where we’ve stayed this year (only two nights in actual campsites) hopefully it will help:

TrackMyTour

Last years Scotland trip:

TrackMyTour

Cheers

mark

Nearly back from 7 weeks in Scotland, The Orkneys (South Ronaldsay, Mainland, Sanday, Hoy and Westray). Saw the northern lights from Broch of Gurness. Then back to Scrabster and followed the NC500 before hoping over to Harris and Lewis for a week. Did all the Outer Hebrides last October with Mull and Arran. Then down the coast to Skye and Moydart.

We really liked Orkney but Harris and South Lewis are our favourites. Lots more to them than just Luskentyre. Cnip (Kneep) beach, Huishnish, Carnais Beach, Callinish, Rhenigadale, The Scallop Shack near Miaveg, nice walks, golden and sea eagles.

Hoy was probably our favourite Orkney island.

You can see our route and places where we’ve stayed this year (only two nights in actual campsites) hopefully it will help:

TrackMyTour

Last years Scotland trip:

TrackMyTour

Cheers

mark

Makes sense that Hoy was your favourite Orkney island if you preferred the Hebrides overall as it’s the only one with a bit of a mountainous feel. Funnily enough, that Orkney island combination is exactly the same one we did last time we went.

To be honest I’d happily turn the van around and go to either The Outer Hebrides or Orkney Isles and not feel I should have gone to the other but need to get the van back as have it booked in to have VB air fitted plus the slight issue of having to get ready for Christmas.

I am with @kiter on this one and Tiree is a personal favourite. Fantastic for windsurf, kitesurf and is such a cool place to be.
But as said above in the last 5 years or so the visitor numbers have gone through the roof and it’s getting busy all over.
Campervans are very welcome on Tiree but there is a system in place to control the places and numbers ‘wild’ camping.
If you can visit outside the school holiday periods it will be much easier to find a bit of solitude.
NC500 has already become a bit of a victim of its own success and frankly there are a lot of other places to see that are just as good and a lot less travelled. But I expect that you might have to buy @kiter or me a beer before we tell;)

Currently we’re limited to school holidays for trips, so that’s a real issue for the busier bits of the NC500. I think we’ll wait until we have an opportunity to go off-season.

I’m dreading them marketing Orkney like the West coast, would really impact the place if it filled up with motorhomes. It’s currently pretty quiet though so it’s very welcoming of vans. It does have a bit of a cruise ship issue, but they only swarm the really obvious sites on set days so it’s easy enough to avoid.

Currently we’re limited to school holidays for trips, so that’s a real issue for the busier bits of the NC500. I think we’ll wait until we have an opportunity to go off-season.

I’m dreading them marketing Orkney like the West coast, would really impact the place if it filled up with motorhomes. It’s currently pretty quiet though so it’s very welcoming of vans. It does have a bit of a cruise ship issue, but they only swarm the really obvious sites on set days so it’s easy enough

Defo try off season, will be much more enjoyable. 2020 will be a stay in scotland year and I'm already looking to book ferries for tiree in august. Thankfully have a friendly crafter who allows us to camp on his land. Cant wait not been over for a few years.

Never been to the Orkneys but sounds like I need to get there. Always been a big fan of the Outer Hebrides and here’s a slightly different take on the Isles and their recent social history...

Back