Sca rails

Chris1983

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

Bought couple of sca rails to fit to sca 194 pop top for solar system.

I note as I lay them in the grooves, the rear kicks up on both sides? Is this normal?

Or am I expected to shorten these with a hacksaw?!

They were purchased through banwy vans specifically for this vehicle?!

Many thanks.

Chris

32382196-70FF-4820-ABA5-AFD0C496346F.jpeg

83241F93-0303-4282-9366-7BF5E2C3D3FB.jpeg

10BD0AEB-2DEC-49C9-AC72-7953F2EAAAD7.jpeg

440BFB7E-38A2-4685-8C7D-C3EAD61CC8AC.jpeg

banwy supply only one length and say that a hacksaw is required for SWB

I believe 1.3M is the correct length, but not sure if that includes the end caps or not.

Gotcha, presume I just take off enough to get them to sit flush in groove? Will that impact load bearing?! Only using for solar is my intention.

Thank you.

Chris

I’ve just edited my post above. 2nd link shows a good video of correct fitting on SWB.
Not sure if Banwy even supply the end caps or not?

Looks mega straightforward from
That video, and no sign of needing to hacksaw shorter?!

I’ve dropped an email to banwy to inquire if I need to shorten, if they have perhaps sent wrong bars or the rear kick up is ‘normal’

Looks mega straightforward from
That video, and no sign of needing to hacksaw shorter?!

I’ve dropped an email to banwy to inquire if I need to shorten, if they have perhaps sent wrong bars or the rear kick up is ‘normal’
@Chris1983
The first link I posted to Banwy site says they only sell one length at 1.6m (for LWB) and that it needs to be cut shorter with a hacksaw for SWB. They also say you might need to cut down the bolts!
Campervanparts sell a full kit specifically tailored for the SWB.
Big difference in price.
Do the end caps come with the Banwy rails?

I’ll revisit and measure up etc, not seen what is in the kit, only need the rails for solar camper kit to bolt on too (to allow replacement in future if panel fails etc)

@Chris1983 Post pics of your solar install once you’ve completed it.
With the SCA, the rails are mounted quite a way forward, so it will be interesting how you run your solar wiring.

I have been trying to get someone to install. To no avail. The kit has a ‘curly’ self retracting cable. But it’s the interior fully carpeted run that will cause me a headache.

Leisure battery is under driver seat.

Sounds like you’ve got this kit?

They don’t show any pics of the external curly cable on the SCA fit; it’s a long run between the mid mount position of the solar panels on a SCA rail and the rear of the vehicle: A min of around 65cm to the rear top of the roof if the solar panel was mounted as far back on the rails as possible. Most installs are mounted more towards the rear of the pop top than that.
Would be interesting to see an actual pic of an install. Wonder if anyone on here has done it with an SCA, rail mounted?

Could be neater (and certainly a lot easier) to just have an external cable connector fixed to the side of the roof rail from the solar panel and another cable connector under the driver seat attached to the solar controller; then just connect up an extension cable between the two, through the drivers window when you are on site, if you didn’t need the solar whilst you were driving around.
Sometimes simple works.

Last edited:
Hmmmm….I hadn’t considered this.

I’ll ask whom was going to provide the panels whether this has been done successfully.

Hillside had quoted 700+ for fitted set up.

I was hoping to avoid bonding to pop top as a) nervous it flying off at high speeds and b) panel failure requiring a replacement.

Food for thought

I know exactly where you are coming from.
I’m in the early stages of my research into fitting solar to my SCA roof.
I was originally going to use rails like you have to mount a rigid panel, as I didn’t want to bond either.
But the position of the rails and thus the panel has caused me to rethink and I’m currently going around in circles as to how to progress. I also want around 300W so need to use more of the roof anyway.

Expect that Hillside quote is for a 100W bonded, with an unknown controller.
I spoke to them about solar panels when I purchased mine and they were too restrictive on what they would fit.

100w was indeed the hillside quote.

Solar camper solutions quoting Iro £500 for 100w or 950£ ish for 200 onto rails. (This is victron kit)

But the fitting will be a pig (internal routing).

I only have a 75ah leisure, will swap out in future for lifepo if I can get someone to do that work (struggling in the NW).

Back