Sat Nav for NC500

Dodders

Hi everyone
I’m new to the forum so thanks in advance for any responses. Doing the NC500 in our T6.1 but notice that O2 reception is patchy especially on the West Coast. Thinking of getting a Tom Tom or similar (or an OS Map) but wondering if anyone can advise if Sat Nav GPS works on this route?
Thanks
Dodders

Can you not download a local copy of Google maps? GPS will still work

Screenshot_20230802_095037_Maps.jpg
Oh, and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

Last edited:
For this sort of trip, I'd prefer to go old school with a road atlas. It's easy to miss so much when following a satnav as we tend to focus on the destination and have little concept of where we are and what there is to see.

My Garmin sat nav worked everywhere when I did the route in April.

An alternative is to buy a NC500 guide book with route maps inside, then you also get hints/tips and places to visit on the way. :thumbsup:
Thanks much appreciated

I use Waze now for navigation.
TBH, there's not a lot of choices of route on the NC500, there's a few diversions off-route, but most are out and back, or simple loops.

The most impressive thing about the NC500 is the hype it's generated. A network of existing roads tied into a tartan Route 66 by a marketing department and the masses have lapped it up. Nothing put back into the area infrastructure. Astonishing. The locals who aren't riding the gravy train are less than complimentary about it and I can't blame them.
It's fair to say I'm not a fan.

Yes, your satnav will work there :)

For what it's worth I'm a fan of Sygic - one of the lesser known phone satnavs that doesn't need a permanent data connection for maps.

We were in the area earlier this year and use O2. We found it better than we expected.
But then, when we cycled much of it in 1985 we found a map just as helpful. Then further back still in 1970 when my dear mum and dad took the family on an NC500 trip as it is now marketed, our maps were even older and all accommodation was probably booked by letter!

Back