Safe, smallish car for new learner driver.

Is it just the looks of it @Samro ?
Nope! It's the fact that every pensioner around where I live has one and drives at 20 MPH around the New Forest and yet they still manage to mow down the odd pony! The fact that they seem to make me late home from work nearly every night also doesn't help! Also, the fact that it is call "Jazz"... I mean if it was the Honda "Rock", "Classical", "Rap" or "R &B", it would not sound any less stupid! I just have an unjustifiable hatred for the things to a point that I get angry when stuck behind one!...... I am aware that this sounds like I am crackers!!!!

Nope! It's the fact that every pensioner around where I live has one and drives at 20 MPH around the New Forest and yet they still manage to mow down the odd pony! The fact that they seem to make me late home from work nearly every night also doesn't help! Also, the fact that it is call "Jazz"... I mean if it was the Honda "Rock", "Classical", "Rap" or "R &B", it would not sound any less stupid! I just have an unjustifiable hatred for the things to a point that I get angry when stuck behind one!...... I am aware that this sounds like I am crackers!!!!
Fair play I can relate to your 'menace driver' assessment!

I leased my Mrs a fiat 500 2 years ago as her last suv she hit a trolley bay in a supermarket and took the whole side of the car out and wouldn’t drive it after that! I Hate the fiat with a passion thankfully it’s going back soon but she absolutely loves it

My lad bought a 2.0 TSI Scirocco when he was still 16. We did the Marmalade thing where I registered and insured it as my car. His insurance for the first year was about £800. The second year with a full license was around £900, so not out of the way.

Marmalade monitor them with a sort of black box. Too many indiscretions and the premium goes up.

Reactions: CAB
My daughter has just upgraded her 1st car after 4 years to a golf tsi.
Her 1st car was a 1.4 VW Polo 6r of which she loved!
It’s now battered and bruised and for 6 weeks it’s been sitting in the corner of my drive.
Nearly every panel is dented but I’ve kept in in tip to mechanical condition.
Up for sale for around £850 soon.
I wouldn’t sell it to anyone I know cause she also used it to walk dogs in. Smells like a camels ball bag inside :fast rofl:
It’s been a fantastic little car for her and totally recommend getting one.

IMG_5660.jpeg

IMG_5661.jpeg

IMG_5662.jpeg

IMG_5663.jpeg

We've still got my wives first new car her Dad bought her. Every year we thought it was going to die it has passed MOT and needed very minor works. Bit like @BuilderJay it has a few war wounds on most panels. 2010 Hyundai i20 3door. When you know how to drive it, it is quite nippy. Quite like how basic compared to more modern cars. And how inconspicuous you are in it.... Reminds me of Tyson Fury in his Passat! Just wish I had his money!

My lad bought a 2.0 TSI Scirocco when he was still 16. We did the Marmalade thing where I registered and insured it as my car. His insurance for the first year was about £800. The second year with a full license was around £900, so not out of the way.

Marmalade monitor them with a sort of black box. Too many indiscretions and the premium goes up.
But I would be way too precious over it! I'd love it and be all upset every time she kerbed it! (Looking at how it upsets me that my wife actually thinks door bins are "bins", I don't think my blood pressure could take lending anything decent to my daughter once she passes her test! Especially as my blood pressure is already at risk due to my Honda Jazz problem!)

It’s now battered and bruised and for 6 weeks it’s been sitting in the corner of my drive.
I wouldn’t sell it to anyone I know cause she also used it to walk dogs in. Smells like a camels ball bag inside :fast rofl:

View attachment 217412

View attachment 217413

View attachment 217414

View attachment 217415
This post made me chuckle and sums up my comments to @dubber36! I couldn't imagine how I'd feel if that sort of damage occurred to that pretty scirocco that @T6ChrisO pictured.

(By the way.... what year/miles on that scirocco of yours @T6ChrisO? Asking fir a friend;))

But I would be way too precious over it! I'd love it and be all upset every time she kerbed it! (Looking at how it upsets me that my wife actually thinks door bins are "bins", I don't think my blood pressure could take lending anything decent to my daughter once she passes her test! Especially as my blood pressure is already at risk due to my Honda Jazz problem!)

This post made me chuckle and sums up my comments to @dubber36! I couldn't imagine how I'd feel if that sort of damage occurred to that pretty scirocco that @T6ChrisO pictured.

(By the way.... what year/miles on that scirocco of yours @T6ChrisO? Asking fir a friend;))
2011 and 124k
Had a gearbox rebuild in May too

Don't under sell it. We bought a 2013 R-Line for the kids to learn in. Our lad bought his Scirocco, so didn't drive it. My wife took it on as a car for work to save using her Tiguan. When it came to our Daughter coming of age, Misses didn't want to give the Polo up, so I went on the hunt for another. At the auctions traders were buying them up in all sorts of conditions for way over book. They would be paying around £2.5k for something like yours with a view to tarting it up and putting it on the pitch for £4995.

Eventually I found a 2012 60PS Match being sold privately. I could see that it would clean up and with a bit of haggling paid £3600 for it. It needed rear dampers, rear brake and a pair of tyres to get it through it's MOT, so probably owes my about £4k. Similar cars a year on are being advertised at £5k.

Hers too is a Polo Match. It’s been fantastic. Even had the new version hardened exhaust valves early on which cost me over a grand!

I was there in '74 as a child and pretty sure I would have covered that road in my Dad's Datsun 140Y. I don't think we ever got airborne in it though. We used to love Happy Valley and the golf course.....
@Sackmycook. Over the years, I've been to Cyprus for short detachments (and holidays) but was actually posted there for what turned out to be five and a half years from January 1988. For most of that time, we lived at Episkopi on the OMQ patch at Kensington and our house in Kent Crescent was on top of the cliffs and actually overlooked tunnel beach and the golf course. Thanks for provoking some very happy memories (and a couple of not so good ones!) - it's prompted me to get up in the loft and dig out a few slides from the time.

@Samro. Agree on the Jazz. We've owned 9 Hondas over the years (all Civics or Accords) and are massive fans. However, I reckon that even if your daughters were learning to drive at 60 and your age was such that you could be their parent, none of you would be old enough to drive a Jazz.

Last edited:
We did have a High Up! Which I really like but got shot of it as the windows would continually steam up. It was literally only usable if you had the aircon operating all the time. I recall searching the Web and it seemed to be a design issue with the heat reflective glass in the top the range model.
I'd have kept it otherwise as it was a fun little drive.
Ours would steam up constantly until I complained to VW, they had it back and drilled additional drain holes in the sills to prevent water being trapped. It's a known fault apparently.

Back