Safe, smallish car for new learner driver.

Samro

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Until today I was going to buy a Fiat 500 as a small runabout for me/wife, taking the view that we need a little runabout and my daughter can be insured on it next year and I will teach her to drive.
Today I collected my van from Bognor Motors and they had loaned me a Fiat 500 as a courtesy car. I have to say....... I totally hated every second of my time with it on the motorway as it was very wet and half the people on the road seemed to either have no lights on, or lacked the ability to identify the difference between fog and torrential rain, blinding everyone with their rear fog lights!
Anyway, the point is that I have decided that really little cars are scary and I am precious over my family so want something that will keep them alive!
I thought about an old Landrover 90, but these are strong money for something decent and insurance costs for a learner are mega!
I'd like a Polo GTI, but am sure this would be uninsurable for the learner, but maybe a smaller engine Polo would be a winner. I like a bargain and looking at Autotrader, late VW Beetles look good value, although need to check insurance costs.
Any suggestions/experience much appreciated?

PS: Sorry this post isn't very T6ish!

We have had quite a run of Hyundai i10s in the family as second cars and they've been pretty good and certainly value for money. MrsR had one until I finally convinced her that it was better to have 2 XC70s with two younguns and all the clobber a few years back.

My nephew learned to drive in a VW Up and liked it. They've just passed that on to my niece and got an XC40 instead (we're a bit of a Swedish family traditionally with many SAABs and then Volvos) They're not liking the XC40 so much right now as they clipped a low wall and cracked the front and back of the LED headlight leading to a short sharp lesson in modern car economics...

We’ve just got a VW Up! to teach daughter (and son in 18 months). It does drive nicely, very simple and easy to work on, however, they do hold their value as do the Mii and Citigo’s. The range does have a few known issues - rust around the fuel cap and noisy gearboxes (when in neutral).

I would also look at a Fabia 1.2 SE - you get a lot more car for probably less money. We’ve had 3 so fancied a change. The Polo and Ibiza are effectively the same car.

We used to have a Peugeot 107 until the rear windows fell out and it ate its own reverse gear. It was great for short to medium runs, agreed it is not too much fun on a miserable motorway journey, but we have a Transporter for that.

We’ve just got an VW Up! to teach daughter (and son in 18 months). It does drive nicely, very simple and easy to work on, however, they do hold their value as do the Mii and Citigo’s. The range does have a few known issues - rust around the fuel cap and noisy gearboxes (when in neutral).

I would also look at a Fabia 1.2 SE - you get a lot more car for probably less money. We’ve had 3 so fancied a change. The Polo and Ibiza are effectively the same car.
When our SantaFe finally gives up, I think we might get an electric Mii if it is small enough to go in the back yard.

We had a Yaris which was great for the kids to learn in then swapped to a C1 for their test. Simple cars but pretty reliable and not particularly bothered about minor scrapes and scratches. Daughter actually put it on its side on her first post-test drive

Good suggestions on here. I think the Ibiza and Fabia are new candidates for consideration as I had started off thinking VW Up, but changed to Fiat 500 on the basis that daughter thought the up was uncool!
I obviously couldn't care less about her preferences, as she'll be lucky to get anything more than a Citroen Ami!

Good suggestions on here. I think the Ibiza and Fabia are new candidates for consideration as I had started off thinking VW Up, but changed to Fiat 500 on the basis that daughter thought the up was uncool!
I obviously couldn't care less about her preferences, as she'll be lucky to get anything more than a Citroen Ami!
Edit: Also the Yaris as a good shout..... not cool, but the fabia isn't exactly making me want to part with my hard earned cash!

Insurance gets much more expensive when they have passed the test, so definitely pick a really low insurance group car to start with.
Basic Ford Fiesta is always a good bet.

Pete

Edit: Also the Yaris as a good shout..... not cool, but the fabia isn't exactly making me want to part with my hard earned cash!
Daughter number one dented every panel on her Yaris, kept on rollin! She can't understand why I won't insure her on my van! She now drives ambulances for a living, perhaps I should reconsider! No blessed way! She hasn't got a clue about DPF...

Regarding insurance, have a look at Marmalade. They do a policy for the learner that allows them to drive another family members car. Our daughters Polo is registered to me and insured for me and my wife for around £200. The Marmalade policy cost just over £600 for our daughter to be able to drive it. She earns her own no claims on it and the policy covers her as a learner and after she passes her test.

Most learner policies are cheap whilst they have the L plates on but end the second they pass. You then have to buy a policy for a new driver, which will cost a fortune.

My three daughters are all in their 20's now, but we've had a variety of learner cars, including Fiat 500 (I agree with the OP), Seat Ibizia, and various others.
The 1.4 litre petrol Seat Ibizia was purchased with 80K miles, it's now on 150K and apart from normal servicing which I do, and a new set of ignition coils, a cheap and easy job, it's had no real money spent on it and is a nice enough car to drive.
Insurance premiums will rule out anything powerful so you're quite limited in what you can buy for a learner driver.
Don't spend too much, it's going to collect a few scrapes and dents on the learner / new driver journey.

I bought a 1.6 Diesel Golf S for sane reason, easy insured, although I bought it to use whist waiting in my van to arrive, it was always a car for my daughter once she passed her test, she loves, although her younger sister wasn’t sure what the handles on the inside of the rear doors were for (manual windows) oh how times have changed since I started driving,

We have a VW Up and it’s been used to teach 2 kids to drive and is the daily runabout. It’s been faultless for the 6 years we’ve had it, £20 a year tax and is very economical around town. I did a lot of research when buying and the Up (or Citygo or Mii) came out top. It drives like a bigger car, genuinely takes 4 adults, is the lowest insurance group and it’s not a Corsa! The i10 was a close second but the Up drives better.

Be sure you consider insurance cost once they have passed their test as it skyrockets compared to learner insurance premiums.

Another shout for the Yaris
We were given a 100K mile Yaris by my sister, for our daughter to drive, and it's great.
We all use it as a run around and I would recommend it as a cheap reliable car for a young driver.
It also saves us adding miles onto the T6 or the 3 Series.

Back