Safe, smallish car for new learner driver.

I have to say having spent most of my car ownership days buying 5 year old 70k+ high end SAAB/Volvo it was a surprise to me when we got the i10 (good deal from my parents) and drove other small cars just how refined the driving experience was and the ubiquity of what I regarded as high end features like electric windows, auto wipers, etc had become.

It also makes me look at the bigger cars (and now van) and wonder quite what the extra money is buying us...

I think there is an argument that a boring mid range car is now using such well established tech that it's probably more reliable than the high ends and much better value for money.

Both my girls started their driving with a diesel Yaris. We still have two of them 10 years later. One has done 165k and the other 205k. Totally reliable, even the air con still works on the '58 plate highest miler. No cam belt, 65mpg. Just discs and pads (didnt change the rear shoes until 195k). Original clutches.

@wavey66. Slightly off topic but that post reminded me that back in the very early 1990s, I was serving in Cyprus and we had a little Mitsubishi which had a 3 cylinder turbo charged engine. It was mainly used as a beach car but on the road it was seriously quick for such a tiny thing. There was one particular stretch of road that I used regularly where a slightly humped bridge went over a dry river bed and if you floored it, you could get all 4 wheels off the ground (the M1 on the way from Episkopi to Akrotiri for those who know the place). Those were the good old days before I developed common sense.

Last edited:
@wavey66. Slightly off topic but that post reminded me that back in the very early 1990s, I was serving in Cyprus and we had a little Mitsubishi which had a 3 cylinder turbo charged engine. It was mainly used as a beach car but on the road it was seriously quick for such a tiny thing. There was one particular stretch of road that I used regularly where a slightly humped bridge went over a dried river bed and if you floored it, you could get all 4 wheels off the ground (the M1 on the way from Episkopi to Akrotiri for those who know the place). Those were the good old days before I developed common sense.
I was there in '74 as a child and pretty sure I would have covered that road in my Dad's Datsun 140Y. I don't think we ever got airborne in it though. We used to love Happy Valley and the golf course.....

Suzuki Swift. Reliable like nothing these days. Or Smaller Suzuki Splash / Alto. Best to go for 1.2 K12B engine - 35 quid tax and cheap insurance.
My wife is selling hers atm as she went for S cross - 2016 Swift for around 2.1k

Until today I was going to buy a Fiat 500 as a small runabout for me/wife, taking the view that we need a little runabout and my daughter can be insured on it next year and I will teach her to drive.
Today I collected my van from Bognor Motors and they had loaned me a Fiat 500 as a courtesy car. I have to say....... I totally hated every second of my time with it on the motorway as it was very wet and half the people on the road seemed to either have no lights on, or lacked the ability to identify the difference between fog and torrential rain, blinding everyone with their rear fog lights!
Anyway, the point is that I have decided that really little cars are scary and I am precious over my family so want something that will keep them alive!
I thought about an old Landrover 90, but these are strong money for something decent and insurance costs for a learner are mega!
I'd like a Polo GTI, but am sure this would be uninsurable for the learner, but maybe a smaller engine Polo would be a winner. I like a bargain and looking at Autotrader, late VW Beetles look good value, although need to check insurance costs.
Any suggestions/experience much appreciated?

PS: Sorry this post isn't very T6ish!
Another vote for the Citigo (or Up). They might not be too cool but there are some cool colours and trim. Simple car and all you'll need in the SE version. VEL costs vary so worth reseaching if you find one that might be cool.

Another vote for an Up! here.
Bought my daughter a new Move Up! as a present for passing her test in a Lupo without power steering, and I don't mind driving it.

We did have a High Up! Which I really like but got shot of it as the windows would continually steam up. It was literally only usable if you had the aircon operating all the time. I recall searching the Web and it seemed to be a design issue with the heat reflective glass in the top the range model.
I'd have kept it otherwise as it was a fun little drive.

Another Yaris supporter here. It’s our only car, owned 16 years and all fine so far, but less than 40k miles. Insurance is ok for us, but I couldn’t comment on rates for younger drivers.

One reason we bought it was low emissions, of less than 120g/km CO2, so just £35 Vehicle Tax at current rates. The downside now is that different ’low emissions’ are important so it’s subject to ULEZ payments when we travel in London. That’s not too often so not worth changing it, but adding ‘low’ criteria is a bit annoying

I know kids should be grateful, but surely there are limits. Brilliant little cars and all that, but at 17?

I guess it could be seen as an incentive to save their own money for something a bit less OAP.
My wife tells me both our girls are worth it, and that we wouldn't have it any other way, she goes on to say....

Honda Jazz - dirt cheap, very roomy.
Sadly Honda decided to do everything properly and as a result the catalytic converter in a Jazz has lots of top value metals in it, more so than almost any other car, a fact not missed by the criminal fraternity. The love a Honda Jazz CC.
Many Hondas Jazz's have been written off by insurance companies because the catalytic converter has been cut out.
If I was looking for one I'd want to check that it's still there, too.

Honda Jazz - dirt cheap, very roomy.
This is possibly the best possible choice of car on the grounds of economy and quality. Also this is possibly the cheapest and most practical suggestion this thread...... but I just couldn't! I have developed a weird and truly healthy hatred for the Jazz, which is an impossible hurdle.

This is possibly the best possible choice of car on the grounds of economy and quality. Also this is possibly the cheapest and most practical suggestion this thread...... but I just couldn't! I have developed a weird and truly healthy hatred for the Jazz, which is an impossible hurdle.
Is it just the looks of it @Samro ?

Back