RUST! On new T6.1

Smileysmile

I've made a short video clip.

Very expensive purchase and I need reassurance that this is normal and no future problems? I was installing a dashcam so the A pillar had to be removed to hide wires. T6.1 is 2023 covering 1k miles.

No, no modifications yet. Just a plain Ravenna blue 150 DSG van. Rear reverse camera, heated windscreen, heated outside mirrors.

Im told it's moisture. Where does moisture come from and if so why isn't that area galvanised/painted?

Usually the crash bars under the dash are raw steel and very susceptible to a bit of rust. Nothing to worry about at all!

I've contacted my local VW and they seem to say the same thing. It still is very strange to have rust. Rust spreads does it not?

I agree its a bit young to be seeing that but if you remove a dash the bare steel frame is always covered in surface rust like that

I would double check everything and make sure your happy theres no leaks and move on, perhaps the door has been left open at some point while raining and some moisture has got in and started the lovely brown stuff ?

Who knows. It's between the manufacturer and garage that sold it to me.

I've attached a screen shot.
I agree its a bit young to be seeing that but if you remove a dash the bare steel frame is always covered in surface rust like that

I would double check everything and make sure your happy theres no leaks and move on, perhaps the door has been left open at some point while raining and some moisture has got in and started the lovely brown stuff ?

It's between the manufacturer and garage who sold it to me. I've attached a screenshot

Screenshot_20240327_173505_Gallery.jpg

It's the cross bar. Like a solid scaffolding pipe. You can see it better shining a light on it at night. Panic over.

Back