Running Extra Cables Advice Needed!

Paynewright

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi,

I’m about to pull the roof panels, pillar trims and bits of dash to run rear speaker wires, rear dashcam cable and 12v supply / earth for front dashcam. Route will be nearside under roof panel and down A pillar. I have already seen the air bag switch removal / ign on warning re air bag dash light & VCDS reset.

I have some tesa tape to ‘loom up’ the speaker cables.

Any hints and tips greatly appreciated, in particular...

How to secure cables where there are no other wires (to avoid rattles)?

Where there are other wires, is it the norm to tie-wrap new wires to them?

Anything else to install? 12v power for socket in the rear? Should I sleeve this cable (double insulate)?

Any gotcha’s to avoid?

prob doing next weekend - plastic trim removal tools purchased already.

Regards
Ian

Hello Ian, as you plan to go along the passenger side it should be straightforward as the main VW loom also takes this route and will provide you with something to cable tie to. Probably worth running a spare cable. I'd recommend a 2 mm twin cable. This will save you having to double insulate. You can either use it as a + and - or 2 x + and pick up required negs from rear earth points.
Just be careful where you run across the top of the B pillar, there are sharp edges.

Hello Ian, as you plan to go along the passenger side it should be straightforward as the main VW loom also takes this route and will provide you with something to cable tie to. Probably worth running a spare cable. I'd recommend a 2 mm twin cable. This will save you having to double insulate. You can either use it as a + and - or 2 x + and pick up required negs from rear earth points.
Just be careful where you run across the top of the B pillar, there are sharp edges.

when you say twin cable do you mean 240v flex or is there an auto equivalent?

thanks
Ian

Back