Road Tax - What are you paying?

It's us, the subjects that name it incorrectly. It's proper name is Vehicle Excise Duty.

Road tax is a phrase from the past that's stuck. Like wing mirrors. When was the last time you saw a car with mirrors on It's wings rather than It's doors?

2019 T6 150 factory Kombi - £320 May 2023.

Can someone explain what this money pays for? Our local roads are like the surface of the moon and getting worse by the day :rolleyes:
Your MP right now if they are in power, don’t vote for them next time around. Don’t worry the crumbling schools will be used to fill the potholes, shovels provided at cost price.

Hi,

pardon my ignorance (company car driver for 30years) , but where does 'the man' get the price from for your van/conversion?

hold on . . . . now they want £260 on the Gov webportal !!!

• Start date 01 May 2019
  • Duration 12 Months
  • Vehicle make VOLKSWAGEN
  • Price £260.00
  • Payment method Card payment
There is no fee for paying with any debit card, pre-paid card or personal credit card. An additional fee of £2.50 is applicable to all other types of cards.

The amount quoted may be different to the one stated on your reminder (V11), as these are printed in advance. This is due to new vehicle tax rates taking affect from the 1st of April. The rate you pay will be the same whether you purchase the vehicle tax online, by phone or at the Post Office®.

pdf upload TBC

These are 2019/2019 rates of Vehicle Excise Duty (also known as road tax) as announced in the Spring Statement for commercial vehicles that do not exceed 3500kg GVW (also known as Gross Vehicle Weight).
Vehicle registration date Tax year 2018 to 2019 Tax year 2019 to 2020
Euro4 vans registered between 1 March 2003 and 31 December 2006 £140 £140
Euro5 vans registered between 1 January 2009 and 31 December 2010

£140 £140
Fully electric vans £0 £0
All other vans £250 £260

Budget 2018: How much will it cost to tax your van in 2019?

A guide to van and pickup taxation - everything you need to know | Parkers

Just had my tax renewal email..for the van MY18 204ps.

£335 now.

What the hell !!!!!

Or was it last last year?.. can't remember now.ill have to check.

Screenshot_20240418_153920_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Reactions: CAB
I've just 'taxed' my lads Polo today for £0. It was first registered in 1983, so is now tax and MOT exempt. It's the first time it's being exempt so now gets its taxation class changed from PLG to Historic.

1983!!! Jeez I feel old.

I've just 'taxed' my lads Polo today for £0. It was first registered in 1983, so is now tax and MOT exempt. It's the first time it's being exempt so now gets its taxation class changed from PLG to Historic.

1983!!! Jeez I feel old.
I guess I’ve been historic for a few years now. That explains a lot!

Is that because the reminder came before the rates went up? If you paid when you got the reminder, you’d have paid the old rate. Snooze you lose.
Tax reminder came in the post last week. New rates were in place April 1st apparently. No doubt they've not bothered to change the document beforehand. Although they've stamped an additional bit of text in red stating most up to date rates will be online.

Back