Rivnuts for fixing drivers seat to the seat swivel????? Terrible idea???

dhardyuk

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi Everyone

I've just finished fitting the seat swivel to the drivers seat in my T6 Caravelle.

The original fixings that hold the bottom plate of the swivel to the seat base were a doddle.

My hands are too big at the best of times and I've really struggled to get the M8 allen bolt + washer + washer + M8 nyloc on the front fixings where the seat frame is bolted to the top plate of the swivel. I have a set of carbon steel 8mm rivnuts and I'm wondering if they are a reasonable alternative to the one-handed juggling of nuts, bolts and washers.

I could potentially put the nylocs on the exposed bolts that would protrude through the rivnuts if that would improve on just bolts and rivnuts.

Good idea or dangerous muppetry?

Personally I wouldn't, as although Rivinuts are strong I wouldn't want to reply on them in the event of an accident. I would estimate their 'pull out resistance' would be a lot less than a bolt and nut.

What swivel are you using? presume you have tried swiveling the swivel 45degrees to give better access to fit the bolts?
good guide here:

@david173 I'm using Reimo swivels.

I've got a little over excited and ahead of myself - today I've bought a base with a lowered handbrake fitting. I've also just pre-ordered the SB230 seat base battery from Roamer Batteries so I'm seeing myself taking the seat apart again a few more times over the next couple of months.

Don't forget to disconnect the battery before removing airbag connectors! Don't switch on ignition either!

@david173 I'm using Reimo swivels.

I've got a little over excited and ahead of myself - today I've bought a base with a lowered handbrake fitting. I've also just pre-ordered the SB230 seat base battery from Roamer Batteries so I'm seeing myself taking the seat apart again a few more times over the next couple of months.
Replying to myself now, that can't be good.
Cancelled the seat base with the lowered bracket because they wanted my seat base in exchange and buyers remorse had set in. That £108 is now going towards my extensive Victron wishlist!
Lowered handbrake trim from eBay has arrived and been fitted. Quality of the finish is good, quality of the fit not so good. The plastic clips that should pop over the pegs on handbrake bracket like the original are not correctly aligned (they are on a plastic plate welded on to the cover at a sloppy angle. I'm going to have to use a couple of screws through the cover into the seat base to hold it on. Thats going to be the first unreversable thing I've done (I bought new plastic trims to cut down for the seat bases so I have the originals if I need to revert to stock in the cabin).

Back