Rigid solar panel installation

Bumping an old thread rather than starting a new one -

Is Sikaflex 252 or 522 the best option for a flexible solar panel install please?

Or something else?

Like new if you put ppf on before the panel.
what's ppf skyline, I have been speaking with installers about the panels and they suggest the flex ones will be a nightmare to change once they inevitably fail and that the rigid one will bring the van to a height where it can no longer go under the small parking site barriers here in Ireland, Im just trying to suss it out before I commit to one over the other, the folks there also suggested that the tech for smaller vans and panels was not there yet, does anyone have anything to add on those observations, can you wait and add panels retrospectively to pop tops or better to add it during the pop top install?

Last edited:
There’s the amorphous roll solar panels, miasole. Better than the semi flexible crystalline, these are the ones that fail due to head and excessive bending.

what's ppf skyline, I have been speaking with installers about the panels and they suggest the flex ones will be a nightmare to change once they inevitably fail and that the rigid one will bring the van to a height where it can no longer go under the small parking site barriers here in Ireland, Im just trying to suss it out before I commit to one over the other, the folks there also suggested that the tech for smaller vans and panels was not there yet, does anyone have anything to add on those observations, can you wait and add panels retrospectively to pop tops or better to add it during the pop top install?
Paint Protection Film

Basically transparent vinyl wrap, fix the panel to it as normal, and it will peel off if you need to replace the panel.

Vinyl wrap the section of roof first.

Then stick the flex panel to that.

If the panel needs removing , it should be easier.

@ashmul
what did you decide in the end? I'm based in Ireland and getting an converter to install a flexible panel to my pop top roof (which has ridges). I'm going to add vinyl first then bond the panel using sikaflex. Converter is wondering how bonding to vinyl compares with bonding directly to a primed roof surface.

Flat ones are a nightmare to remove , I have done one. But I replaced with another flat one. 4 1/2 years first one lasted so hoping replacem lasts as long. Plus do height worries

We fit alot of flexible solar panels, but we leave a 4-5mm air gap to allow heat to escape. This is definitely important !
The slim panel together with a underside junction box gives a very neat insulation. We have had customers tour Spain and similar hot countries in summer months with no issues.
If the worst does happen it can be removed in a similar way to a window removal and cut away from the body.

View attachment 144291
It sure is a neat-looking installation, what wattage is the panel and what sort of cost is it?

Back