Rigid solar panel installation

Is there a size you shouldn't go above for a rigid panel on a pop top roof? I'm looking at one that's 320 watts, but is 1690x996mm which seems like it will weigh a fair bit. Would it add too much stress to the roof when it's open / closed? Should I be thinking closer to 100 / 150 watts?

Is there a size you shouldn't go above for a rigid panel on a pop top roof? I'm looking at one that's 320 watts, but is 1690x996mm which seems like it will weigh a fair bit. Would it add too much stress to the roof when it's open / closed? Should I be thinking closer to 100 / 150 watts?
You can put a 75kg roof rack on top, a solar panel isn’t going to be close to that.

Have PV logic flexible one on at moment. Failed after 4 years. They have sent a replacement free of charge but reluctant to use it. Got to get old one off stick new one on and will it then fail again.
Like the look of those did you go for 120 or 155 w.

I know the primer is recommended by sika to achieve full bond strength. Personally, I would use it, in the same manner as we use it when we bond windows. The 252 should be plenty strong.
Hi , buying the sika activator/cleaner and also the sika primer is expensive. Is there a cheaper alternative that I could use for cleaning before I use the sika primer ? I've spoken to the company who fit my pop top & with it being white it is not painted but just gel coated. So my plan is to sand down the areas where the corner brackets are going to remove the gel from the pop top / thoroughly clean them areas / sika primer and then sika 252. Does that sound ok to you ? Im also thinking of putting a bolt through each of the front 2 corner brackets for extra safety. I am very nervous about drilling 2 holes in the pop top but as long as i seal them properly then surely its no problem ? Cheers.

Hi , buying the sika activator/cleaner and also the sika primer is expensive. Is there a cheaper alternative that I could use for cleaning before I use the sika primer ? I've spoken to the company who fit my pop top & with it being white it is not painted but just gel coated. So my plan is to sand down the areas where the corner brackets are going to remove the gel from the pop top / thoroughly clean them areas / sika primer and then sika 252. Does that sound ok to you ? Im also thinking of putting a bolt through each of the front 2 corner brackets for extra safety. I am very nervous about drilling 2 holes in the pop top but as long as i seal them properly then surely its no problem ? Cheers.
Suppose you will be sure it's not going to come off anytime doing it that way. I am looking at ways of fixing to pop top as well. Don't fancy another flexible panel on after first one failed.
Don't think a couple of bolt holes in roof is a problem. Big washers underside it shouldn't move.

Suppose you will be sure it's not going to come off anytime doing it that way. I am looking at ways of fixing to pop top as well. Don't fancy another flexible panel on after first one failed.
Don't think a couple of bolt holes in roof is a problem. Big washers underside it shouldn't move.
that's what I thought, it's only 2 holes that will be well sealed.

As you said above, and a bolt with washer underneath, get some sealant before the washer under as well, it won’t leak. I’m facing the same challenge now on a horse box. The roof is fibreglass, and no access underneath the ceiling to bolt them. It’s already lined with vinyl ply, glued in place. I will be sanding the roof, clean with alcohol and use tiger seal. Same for the brackets, needs a bit of sanding to get rid of the mould release agent.

Hi , I intend to fit my rigid solar panel to my pop top this weekend. Once i feed the 2 wires from the panel and through the pop top into the void at the rear, what is the best way to arrange the cables so they dont get kinked & damaged with the roof going up and down ?. I will be feeding them through the rubber grommets and into the van to the controller, cheers.

I put my ridid panel at the back of the pop top roof so the weight has no effect on raising and lowering the roof.
I put my cable gland at the rear of the panel into the interior of the van so when the roof is up cables have a little bit of slack and when roof lowered the cables coil a little bit . I have been using it like this for several years without any problems.
The cables then run behind my cupboards to the leisure battery.
You could sleeve the little bit of exposed cables to give a bit of protection if you want to.

I didn't bother feeding the cables through the roof, just connect the cables and plug into controller when we are pitched up. Bit of a fath but wasn't brave enough to cut a hole in my roof.

Back