Retrofit Rear parking sensors help :)

djmeeg

Tailgater
Hi Everyone, I purchased the PDU, buzzer and this loom. VW T6 / Multivan - Park Pilot Rear w. OPS - Wire Harness

I am in the middle of a convsersion into camper. I am almost ready to finally fit the side panels and carpet. But I wanted to fit the parking sensors wiring harnesses and rear parking sensors. I also have fitted a rear parking camera. Which runs of the live on the reverse light. I cant find anywhere which side the wiring loom needs to run down to the PDU unit which will be located near the steering wheel if i am correct ?

Do the looms run OS or NS of the van ? Also the large grommet which seems to be at the rear side ie which connects to the loom for the sensors. Where is the location for the grommet in the van ?

I think you will find the kit you have is designed to run down the left side (NS) of the van as they are based in europe
You will need to run the cables down the right side (OS) of the van as that is where the module fits and if you dont the wires wont be long enough, the problem now is that if you reverse the loom all the sensors will be reversed so what you need to do is undo the plug where it connects to the control module (you can do any but this is the easiest one to change) and take out the four coloured signal cables that come from the sensors and reverse the outer pair of colours then reverse the inner pair of sensors, this will make the sensors display in the correct sequence on the screen when you complete

As for the grommet, i dont have any pictures, but after removing the rear bumper if you get down and look up from underneath in line with the edge of the bumper sort of under the rear light cluster you will see the hole the cables/grommet go into, take out the original solid grommet and it will give you a route to inside the van/bottom of D pillar region

Hope that makes sense

Hi mate,

Yes massive help thank you for taking to the time to explain. I have taken a few photos of the plugs which are for the pdu unit. I take it the brown plug is the signal feeds from the sensors and the ones you want me to reverse ?

My other question is the high and low wires along with 12v and ground. Are the high and low wires to attach to a switch to engage the reverse sensors ? Which should be installed in the dash. And the live and ground where is the best place to hook them up ?

I’ve done a dry run to check there is enough length as I will follow the original loom at the top of the van running along the os.

So the only grommets I can find in line with the rear lights I’ve taken photos of. Although the grommet looks smaller, I have removed it and chased a wire through the body in anticipation. I am just not sure it’s the right one. I will also have to remove the plug to fish it through as there isn’t much room. If anyone has any photos would be a big help but I can make it work like I said by removing the plug, I could always feed it through the grommet I took out. Just wanted to know where it actually should go.

364F03A6-61CF-42F3-B2B9-87042970705A.jpeg

FBD7C62C-2214-4222-927D-899C29D6D517.jpeg

86302034-0026-4020-A17B-697833355916.jpeg

412F0C9E-8633-4C50-BCEE-130BE816D9A1.jpeg

7714C0D9-633E-4076-90A7-14362580814B.jpeg

F80FC9B6-8F7B-4166-BE37-C050F8D6C731.jpeg

Yes that looks like the grommet in question
The high and low cables are CANBUS high and CANBUS low, these are the signal cables that connect the new control module to the rest of the electronic systems in the van and allow communication

Cant remember which plug has the cables in you will need to have a look inside and see, check your rear sensor plugs and you will see that each of the four plugs has a red a black and another colour, check the four different colours present then find them at the dash end of the loom and reverse them

Hi, thanks again for getting back to me.

Ok so I will remove the plug that connects to the rear wiring loom so I can fish it through and run it down to the front of the van. I can figure out which plug I need to switch the wires over in before plugging into the pdu. But as there are 4 and not just 2. How do you know which order it is to switch them over ? Do I look at each individual plug which connects to the ops sensor in the bumper. Figure out in what order the unique coloured wires go. Ie from left to right on the rear sensors and just make sure if for example the far left sensor connector was purple I want to switch that over with the colour of the wire on the far right ops sensor plug ?

yes, find the four unique coloured cables that connect to the bumper sensors and make a note of which colour goes to what plug, then swap far left with far right and middle left with middle right

canbus cables needs to be joined onto existing pair of canbus cables in dash, instructions normally refer to BCM terminals 18 and 19
If you dont know what canbus is i expect you dont have vcds to program all this to make it work when your done ?

Hi, thanks again for confirming. Ok I am sure I can managed to switch the wires over ok.

I know what canbus is, but haven’t yet got to it to look how and where it’s connected if that makes sense. Yes I have someone who can reprogram the van when works complete as I also installed a tailgate and built the loom so that needs coding also.
It’s just the physical side and actually installing on which I couldn’t find any info on how people had done it. I will let you know how I get on but thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction

Back