[RESOLVED] Rear suspension - what’s be this small strut that’s snapped?

danny1313

Was just changing my wheels and noticed the following which looked like it’s snapped. No idea what it is. Any one able to save me hours of googling
2016 t6 140

1B6DCB7D-A90D-49F7-9868-0D38298679AF.jpeg

That's the arm that relates tge vans load to the aim of the LED headlights, and you need to disconnect the bracket that it fixes to before pulling down the the trailing arms.

what they said:

Self levelling LED headlight sensor

I did exactly the same thing while changing a mates rear suspension as I pulled the rear arms down to get the springs in.

Remove the bracket that the arm is fixed to by undoing a 13mm bolt on the anti roll bar clamp.

Get a pair of needle nose pliers and carefully 'pop' out the broken ball. (The housing is made of still rubber).

Carefully, using smaller drill bits to start with, drill a hole where the ball snapped big enough to fit the thread of the ball end fitting in the link.

Apply a bit of lube to the new ball end and 'snap' it back onto the end of the arm.

Re fix the arm/bracket back onto the trailing arm, and then put the new ball fixing through the hole you opened out in the green sensor arm, and put the correct size, nylon nut on to tighten it up. (don't overtighten it).

Job done.

Last edited:
Was just changing my wheels and noticed the following which looked like it’s snapped. No idea what it is. Any one able to save me hours of googling
2016 t6 140

View attachment 189805

If you pull the green arm down you will see a small hole where the ball part snapped off, this is where to drill for the new ball end fitting.
Cost you less than a fiver and about 20 minutes work.

I think my green arm has dropped off will have a good search tomorrow but suspect it's on a motorway somewhere.

Looks like I might be able to just get the sensor and green arm part without the poles

(I need a right hand side one but maybe a similar part to the one below)

1677352316483.png

@Perfectos do you have any recommendations for official online vw part suppliers?

I think your arm is still there, its just rebounded right round from when it snapped and is pointing upwards.

When removing or changing the rear springs the bracket for the light sensor must be removed from the A R B bracket on the swing arm otherwise it will snap . The spring force will force the L C A down and that plastic ball cant cope with the weight and snaps

Back