[Resolved] Help please T30 will not start - corroded main engine ground strap

hkmk23

Battery fully charged reads 13.7v after 10 seconds with a heavy duty discharge tester the battery still reads 12.4v and the tester says it is in the green. (The battery was disconnected from the vehicle for this test). My feeling is that the battery is fine but that there is something wrong on the ignition/starting circuit..... When I turn the key the engine does not turn over the starter just "clicks".
Is there anything special about the starting of this model.... T30, 2.0 diesel, automatic, 150 engine. Dec 2016 1st reg. It runs like a dream (when it does).
Thanks for any replies guy's.
cheers.

There are some very knowledgeable forum members who will no doubt be along to advise you soon, but in the meantime have you got access to a boost pack? That will tell you very quickly if the battery is the issue.
If the battery is the original factory fitted one it's likely to be well past its best at well over 6 years old.

Edit;
12.4Volts is borderline, apparently;

Last edited:
Main chassis earth strap is a known problem.

Try using a jumper cable from the engine block to battery neg post and see if it starts.

If so look at the earth strap.

Lasy starter motor is possible.

Could be tested with a direct battery feed to the starter pay to test.

And obviously a lazy starter battery is possible.

They are rated for 3-5yrs.

Could just be a duff starter solenoid not making full contact to turn engine over.

You are a genius....it worked first time, and saved me £199! for a battery everyone said I needed to replace.....Thank you.
glad your sorted. . .

@Loz should take the credit for this. (corroded main engine earth strap)

hes mentioned it in the past a few times.

I've not come across the issues myself on a T6, but i have seen it on other vehicles.

an old skool jumper cable is the easiest way to prove the fault.

should be any easy fix with a replacement chassis ground cale.

Reactions: Loz
try and post some pics if you can, of the van,

the old cable,

new cable,

corrosion etc etc etc .

it will help others in future.

Back