Replace timing belt with new if removed ? Did I see that or imagine it?!

catfood12

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Mates

I'm sure I read in a repair guide to replace cam belt with new if removed, i.e. don't refit the old belt. Not sure if it was a T6 repair procedure or something else. Does that ring any bells anywhere, or am I hallucinating ?

For the cost of it, I'd never refit an old belt. The labour makes up most of the cost of replacement.

Reactions: JOG
I have to agree, replace it, and water pump whilst you are there - We would recommend doing the complete kit - Its very good practise, and a £550 job alone, so great to save the labour cost.

Thanks chaps. I checked the link posted by @Ads_Essex. It's a bolt that has to be replaced, not the belt! That'll learn me to skim read stuff.

As per other threads, mine is in for warranty oil leak from front pulley oil seal. Main Dealer is as underwhelming as usual. I've been caught previously with (non-VW) dealer warranty work not following the manufacturer procedure. If VW said replace, then I'd expect dealer to do so too. As they don't, I'd happily pay for parts now for new belt & tensioner rather than have them refit the old ones, as it all has to come out anyway.

I just don't relish the call saying I'd like to pay for new belt and tensioner, rather than them fit the old ones back in. I can see it now..... computer says no... Intern says 'we still can't give you a coffee'.... rinse repeat..."Oh Sir, you're due a brake fluid change and A/C service, oh and a dry fisting as we know better, and you're frankly an irritation coming in here with your warranty claims etc.."

Obvs then, I'll finesse the ride height (see thread on H&R suspension) again and swing over for an essential trip to @BognorMotors for proper tracking and remap..... :D

Back