Removing Ceiling and Tailgate Panels

Adam Lucas

Carpenter
T6 Pro
Hi , is it easy to take my ceiling panel and tailgate panel off? The lights are in the roof and there is the handle in the tailgate , thought i would ask before i snap the plastic surrounds etc
Cheers

Assuming you have original trim panels just remove all the clips around the tailgate trim and disconnect the wiring when the panel is off. Remove the roof lights by pushing length ways and then lever out, remove all trim clips and the rearmost panel will drop down. To remove the middle panel you may need to remove the centre cover strip which is when I normally breaks a couple of clips but they are pence from VW

Trick to removing the trim fasteners...

Fit a T20 Torx bit in an electric drill (or electric screwdriver), Bump the bit deeply into the trim clip and gently 'unscrew' it easing the drill outwards gently enough so as not to pull it from the plastic centre of the clip. If they won't unscrew help the centre portion outwards with a flat blade whilst unscrewing as above.
Most of all ignore the hex key method of removal as the hex key hole will only round off!
Re-fitting is simply by knocking the centre plastic centre pin in when the outer is firmly in place.

The front transverse roof trim strip can be slid out to the side sideways if a top section of a 'B' pillar is removed, I can't remember if the rear one will come out the same way.

Last edited:
Get a set of plastic trim tools, they will get a lot of use and save a lot damaged equipment. Right tool for the job.

I do in fact have such things... but it's those little quick clips of "here's how this little bit works" that I was referring to rather than the tool itself

Back