Removing paint on ABS bumper?

simonnwt6

T6 Pro
So it looks like the people who did the front bumper painted the black lower grill with something and it bubbling and falling off. Joy!

Any suggestions on removing the rest of it without ruining the white paintwork? As it’s a Startline it’s one piece otherwise I could pull it.

Not even sure what they used or what’s caused or to flake. Been ok through winter. New snow foam and Sonax sealant with last wash maybe.

8AADC159-CDA1-43A3-8991-B5B11AC5CE36.jpeg

Use Plasticoat paint and primer?

Paint for plastic bumpers and stuff?

I just want to strip the bad peeling stuff off really. Don’t think want to bother painting.

it comes of scratching with a creditcard but must be a quicker way:laugh:

The chances are it just wasn't a professional job, nothing too unusual or drastic.

I'd either look for another bumper, potentially doing a Highline bumper conversion. With any luck, you can find one in the same colour.

Or, if that's not what you want to do, mask the White edge of the bumper and just sand down the Black part with some fine grade paper, and then prime with the correct base, and then paint Black again.

Bare in mind that most bodyshops that prep unpainted plastics, tend to sand them totally smooth and remove the texture you can see currently.

Mine were done properly 2 years ago and the paint is still where it's meant to be, albeit with loads of stone chips.

Yeah the weird thing is the main painted white part has been done properly and sanded down. The edges where the white finish are very neat. I’d say it’s a good job.

Would like to go to a highline but that’s looking circa £800 all in. Spent enough this month! Lol.

Would be happy to just get it back to normal.

Will look at stripping this lot off and seeing if it leaves a mess.
If it does Can anyone suggest a good make of primer/paint? Or maybe Raptor it.

Thanks.

Back