Reimo Variotech bonded rail safety

skahigh

Hi all,

My first post, apologies if it's in the wrong section!

I'm currently planning our camper conversion and one thing we're really keen on having is a sliding seat bed in order to keep our two kids (3 and 6) within sweet passing distance while on longer drives but then also being able to utilise the full interior space when parked up.

I know that many of the available rail systems are crash tested to varying degrees but almost all seem to be bolted to the chassis, thus providing a certain level of comfort about crash safety. The exception is the fully bonded Variotech for which I am unable to find any crash testing info. Does anyone know if this system is crash tested and to what extent?

Am I wrong to be concerned that it's likely to be less safe as not bolted to the chassis?

Thanks!

According to the Reimo site it’s TUV approved and a certificate is issued.
They also state that certified installers are trained by Reimo. If I were getting an installation done I would want to be sure that the person actually carrying out the job is the certified person and that they aren’t just the manager / supervisor / on holiday etc.
There are many parts of T6 and other vehicles that are held together with adhesive these days.
Without getting gruesome there is a limit to what the human body can take, the seat may well be the strongest point.

Apparently the 'kit' supplied by Reimo to installers to bond the rails down costs around the 3K mark, but like DXX states above, pointless having the right 'kit' if any old Tom, Dick or Harry is doing the job! ( No disrespect to Old, Tom, Dicks Or Harry's who might actually be certified!);)

There are only a few authorised installers of the bonded rail system in the UK who have to have had the Reimo training.
Of these only a few will consider installing the rails on a secondhand van so it is well worth having a discussion with them before committing.
We are very happy with the comfort and functionality of the system in our LWB which was three years old when it was modified albeit in very good condition.

The bolt down Reimo versions have U shaped brackets that are fitted around the chassis cross members and bolted through the seat rails from above.

As stated above I am reasonably sure that Reimo state that the bonded ones should only be fitted to new vehicles and by trained installers.

The bolt down Reimo versions have U shaped brackets that are fitted around the chassis cross members and bolted through the seat rails from above.

As stated above I am reasonably sure that Reimo state that the bonded ones should only be fitted to new vehicles and by trained installers.
I was looking at converters a few years back and Uberbus were doing Reimo rail installation on used vans.

Knights in Spalding bonded mine last year to my 2016 van. Obs they are approved and have the correct kit as the pictures show....PHOTO-2020-11-24-15-58-36 3.jpgPHOTO-2020-11-24-15-58-36 4.jpg

No ofence to the installers but it's hardly the space shuttle is it? Correct amount of the correct mastic/adhesive in correct places, the most difficult part will be getting the whole affair in the correct place!
No one’s doubting your abilities, but just imagine if you were buying the van second hand, that someone without your background had just slung in the seats. How would you know that in the event of a crash, the rear seated passengers (your kids??) weren’t going to end up through the windscreen? If there’s no quality control or certification, the security of the seats is an unknown quantity.

No one’s doubting your abilities, but just imagine if you were buying the van second hand, that someone without your background had just slung in the seats. How would you know that in the event of a crash, the rear seated passengers (your kids??) weren’t going to end up through the windscreen? If there’s no quality control or certification, the security of the seats is an unknown quantity.
Yup I hear you there Salty, strangely you can buy a book on how to rewire your house- from B&Q, I'd say that I would be VERY reluctant to buy a house which has been wired up by a bank clerk or postman (for instance) so I'm with you on this. Equally, I have seen to f***ing terrible jobs which have been done by "experts" both in my work capacity and outside of that. I can't vouch for anyone else's workmanship but I'm willing to entrust my families lives with mine.

I guess the old addage of "buyer beware" comes to mind, I'm certainly a hard taskmaster and believe there is only one quality of work, your best.

Short of a crash test scenario once installed (by anyone) I'd say it was pretty hard to prove the efficacy of any mechanical installation.

No ofence to the installers but it's hardly the space shuttle is it? Correct amount of the correct mastic/adhesive in correct places, the most difficult part will be getting the whole affair in the correct place!
Think it’s primarily about liability and the formal certification standard of the system.
Reimo will want to avoid any legal action in the event of it going wrong.
Was more than happy with my install at Westward Leisure also on a 2016 van.

Would you know if you were buying a house that has been wired up by a bank clerk or postman? One persons 'best' may not be another persons 'best' and thats why, with anything, the product is only as good as the installer and certification helps this as the correct training, products and reviews are carried out and monitored.

Totally agree, however I want a vehicle that I have had some part in putting together, I'm a competent engineer of many years experience, however, where a job arrises which either I don't have the equipment to do well (or is outside of my skill set) I will have others do the work.

Totally agree, however I want a vehicle that I have had some part in putting together, I'm a competent engineer of many years experience, however, where a job arrises which either I don't have the equipment to do well (or is outside of my skill set) I will have others do the work.
Which is pretty much what I did. Jerba did the pop top and Westward Leisure did the seat. Everything else is my fault :)

Haha cool, my poor vehicle is off to Skyline Roofs for a Skylow pop top at the end of the month, I'm sure I could do the work but I don't have a workshop large enough to fit the van inside, I don't want a mobile swimming pool!

Back