Registering New Kombi before conversion

Jotto

Consulting Electrical Engineer
VIP Member
Ordered a new Kombi through a conversion company. Is it standard practice for it be 'first' registered as a van (£55) on arrival then reregistered as a campervan on completion of the conversion?

If first registered as a campervan from day one it costs about £1000 I think.

Their quote included for first registration as a campervan thereby incurring the higher fee. I think they're open to taking the above route but I'm just checking what's legitimate.

There should be no reason it can’t be registered as a van and then changed to a motor caravan after conversion if that’s what you want to do. Don’t know if there are any other advantages to doing it as a first registration other than vehicle warranty etc.

Thanks for the replies. For the sake of the admin involved and providing proof of conversion the £935 saving in registration fees justifies the effort.

Ok, thanks all. I'll speak to them and get it sorted.

If it’s registered as a camper from new, you will be liable for the higher rate of road tax (£475??) for the life of the van. If you register it as a van then re-register as a motor caravan after the conversion, it retains its N1 taxation class, currently £230/yr iirc. BUT, you get to drive at 70mph on dual carriageways, win win.

Back