Recently mapped, now stalling

JHF

Hi, I've got a 2016 t6 that's just been mapped due to EGR and adblue issues.
I now have an issue with stalling the van, it seems like I can't coast along anymore. If the revs drop too low it just cuts out.
I have very little knowledge of engines, so after remapping do I have to drive it differently, or is there something a miss?

I've had it 2 weeks since remapping, it started doing it last week but went away after a day.
Been fine until tonight.

Hi, I've got a 2016 t6 that's just been mapped due to EGR and adblue issues.
I now have an issue with stalling the van, it seems like I can't coast along anymore. If the revs drop too low it just cuts out.
I have very little knowledge of engines, so after remapping do I have to drive it differently, or is there something a miss?
You say ‘just been mapped’, get it straight back to the people that carried out the work.

What map was it?

Pendle? Revo? Other?

Proper map or back street garage map?

I have no idea, was done at a mates garage.
I'd want to know exactly what maps been loaded.. and from where.

You could end up with a blown engine if it's a back street job.

The Pendle and Revo maps are Dyno tested within the limits of each engine.

There are cheap dodgy maps that just mess with the rail and boost pressure sensor readings....that can end up with expensive garage work when things go pop.

It might also be unrelated engine issues.

You need to scan the van for codes and see if anything is flagged up.

What was the previous issues?. Egr?. Adblue? You mentioned.

Egr a flow insufficient
SCR nox catalyst efficiency below threshold
Adblue wasn't recognised when topped up

What was your fix?

Replacement parts?.

Or delete and remap?

Gotcha...

In that case take it back to the garage and ask them to look at it.

It's running a non standard map and deleted hardware so standard vcds scans might not help.

The garage may be able to read through the data and pick up on something.

a quick update, took the van back last week. nothing showed up on the scan. The EGR valve has been blanked off, as I was told it has been deleted, so if it opens, nothing shuts it??
I drove home from the garage, van absolutely fine. The next day, powerloss again. Following day it was back to normal. This week I suffered powerloss for around 2 miles, then it went again. Any suggestions?

. Any suggestions?
To be blunt, you’ve (illegally) buggered about with a high tech piece of kit on the advice of a “mate”. You literally have no idea what’s been done to it & now you’re asking for advice. My advice would be take it back & demand that they return it to the original state.
If you’d asked for advice BEFORE you went down this road, the general consensus would have been, don’t.
P.S. This is my honest opinion & not intended to cause offence.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, and don't worry, it didn't cause offense. Resetting the van back to how it was has been one of my thoughts.
If I do, do I just go ahead and have the egr and adblue systems replaced like initially quoted, around £3500?

A mate of mine had issues with his EGR and glow plug light and was convinced to go for a stage 1 remap with EGR delete. It seemed to work out fine for him for several months but now he has other issues and wants to revert the remap back to standard so he can try and get the VW All in warranty package, but was advised the original remap would still show up on vw scan. I said its probably best to get it back to its original state and then you can try and figure out what’s causing the real problems…

Thanks for that, and don't worry, it didn't cause offense. Resetting the van back to how it was has been one of my thoughts.
If I do, do I just go ahead and have the egr and adblue systems replaced like initially quoted, around £3500?
Without knowing what the original issues with the EGR & Adblue were, it’s difficult to give a meaningful answer. I assume that all the original kit is still on the van, I.e. they have just blanked off the EGR & Adblue system and mapped them out. Replacing the whole lot sounds a bit drastic for what could have been a simple fault that may even been a software issue. What work was done before you decided to have the re-map? Was any meaningful diagnostic work done or did your mate persuade you to jump?

I had a reoccurring engine light with code p0401 "egr a" flow insufficient and then an second one p20ee SCR nox catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1. I was having no performance issues, just engine management lights.
Yes, all original bits still on can, egr has been blanked, both bits mapped out.
Is it possible there's nothing wrong with those parts but there's an issue with the ECU or software?

Back