Rear speaker question

goldeneye243

T6 Guru
Starting with my system -

I have swapped out the head unit for a DMX8019DABS and installed using the kit from Absolut 5.
I have also added the Eton speakers to the front and added a kenwood dashcam. The front speakers sound great!

During the conversion, I got the conversion company to install a rear view camera and some rear speakers - Pheonix gold 6x9 from memory.

The problem is that the rear speakers are really quiet in comparison to the fronts. I don't often sit in the back, but with the fronts at a comfortable volume, you can barely hear the rear speakers even when you are right next to them.

I know I can adjust the balance but it would be quite an extreme change. Any other suggestions? Would a lower impedance speaker help?

If the problem isn’t sorted with a bit of fader, sounds quite extreme. Are you sure they haven’t wired them in to the pre-outs or something by mistake? Or maybe wired them in parallel with the fronts or something odd like that?

OK, so I took the speaker off to have a look and it looks like it has been installed with bell wire!

IMG_20200722_184137.jpg

It also looks like it might be getting hot...

Should it be replaced? I assume that isn't an easy job.

The speakers are actually 6.5inch
IMG_20200722_184118.jpg

If it’s getting hot enough to melt the plastic, it’s definitely a problem! If the wire really is that thin, the high resistance might explain the strangely low sound output. Can test by running decent wire straight from the back of the head unit to the speaker. Assuming that works, then you’ve got the harder job of working out how to route the cable properly!

It may be you can use the existing cable to pull new cable through some bits?

It certainly isn't the wire that I would have chosen...

Good suggestion, but I haven't got the time to mess around with it at the moment :(

I might contact the converter and see what they say. When I listened last night it wasn't quite as quiet as I remembered...

Standard VW wiring loom has 1.5sq mm wires to the speakers.

Back