Rear seat pros and cons...

vwski

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi there,

I'm thinking of changing the rear seats in my factory 2020 SWB Kombi so that I have something more flexible for my ever changing needs.
I currently have a 2+1 set up and one of my ideas at the moment is to change them for a bench seat and then fit additional floor brackets at the rear (and seat belts of course) so I can then put the bench in either position. I really like the sound of this and it's a damn sight cheaper than going with Caravelle seats/rails!
I know the bench is heavy but I wouldn't be moving it around every week. I quite like the idea of adding swivel bases to my front captain chairs and then making it into more of a 'lounge' at times.
Has anyone done that on here? If so, do you have any images or feedback about making the same changes?
My concern has always been that the bench seat looks like a cheaper setup and doesn't look as sturdy as what I currently have. I guess they must be strong enough otherwise VW wouldn't make them.

Another option is to go with 1+1+1 which in turn will give me more flexibility than I have now but I won't be able to move them to the rear - or can I? Maybe there's space to fit two seats side by side rather than all three? Thoughts?
I rarely carry rear passengers so I like the idea of removing the single middle seat and keeping it out most of the time. My dog can then lay down in place of the seat if he wants :)

Any thoughts on either option folks? What about comfort levels between the different seats? Maybe I'm missing something really obvious so please just say...

Either way I need to make a decision pretty soon as I've got my van booked in for all my interior work early November :)

TIA ;)

Seats on rails definitely aren’t cheap but it’s money well spent IMO, makes the van so much more versatile.
If it were me I think there would be plenty of occasions where I’d want to move a triple bench but probably wouldn’t because of the hassle.

Have you tried lifting the bench seating? Not something you can do on your own imo. Bloody thing weighs a ton!

I've done this with bench .
Ended up with an extra set of brackets as bench wot tilt fit into furthest rear position that was fitted first .
Need extra seatbelts too .
I find I've not used the rear position much tbh , but good to have and cheap enough to do

How many rear seats do you need?

If only two how about two middle shuttle seats with integral belts. The brackets can be fitted to the floor in a way that two will attach side by side with a small isle. Can be tight on the wheel arches in the back.

I’m sure @BognorMotors posted pics of an exec shuttle they built with 4 such leather clad seats in the back.

I think the Bognor one was Caravelle rails with 4 middle row Caravelle captains chairs.

Have you tried lifting the bench seating? Not something you can do on your own imo. Bloody thing weighs a ton!
Ha ha. Yeah I've tried moving the ones I've got a couple of times. Even the single is ridiculously heavy! To be honest I imagine the seats might stay furthest back but who knows in reality...

How many rear seats do you need?

If only two how about two middle shuttle seats with integral belts. The brackets can be fitted to the floor in a way that two will attach side by side with a small isle. Can be tight on the wheel arches in the back.

I’m sure @BognorMotors posted pics of an exec shuttle they built with 4 such leather clad seats in the back.
It would be nice to keep 3 in the rear as I only have captain seats upfront. Only travelled with 3 rears passengers a couple of times so far but I've also not been using it fully for work just yet. That will start to happen in the next month or two I guess.
I saw a video last night by VanLeisure (I think) fitting 2 single rear seats right in the back but they looked a little tight to me.
I like the idea of being able to keep the bench seat in and then tilting them forward without completely removing at times.
The thing with caravelle seats/rails is that they would probably be even harder to take out when needed.

People are getting rid of bench seats online for just a few hundred quid (at the most) so it's a low cost modification even when you include belts, fitting etc. The fact that it's a cheap mod makes me question it hence why I'm asking for advice on here really. I'm not too worried about seat condition as I'll be getting them upholstered anyway.
I thought about whether it would affect the resale value of the van but I don't have any plans to get rid so by then it won't matter.
If I make the changes then I would probably keep the existing floor fittings in place for now just in case.

I've done this with bench .
Ended up with an extra set of brackets as bench wot tilt fit into furthest rear position that was fitted first .
Need extra seatbelts too .
I find I've not used the rear position much tbh , but good to have and cheap enough to do
Hi, Is the bench seat just as stable as a 2+1 set up?

Yes , totally stable .
My only complaint is that the triple does not allow access to the " back " of the van

I have put additional brackets in my Kombi to enable the rear bench to be moved back. On consideration I did not fit the extra seat belts, given that in reality it will be moved to make use of space when parked or camping so will be in the "proper" position for travelling. At a push the center seat of the bench has an integrated seat belt so can be used to travel with 4 people.

Moving the seat back takes 30 seconds max, easily doable on your own.

I am just waiting on the front bench swivel and that will make the space even more usable with a low camping table.

20211002_181529.jpg

I have a Cali’ 2 seat bench and it’s best to strip it down to move it, this helps with weight and being able to stand in the middle.
That said I plan to make a bolt on pair of dollies to be able to lift it clear of the floor and wheel it around and out of the van on to a platform.

I have put additional brackets in my Kombi to enable the rear bench to be moved back. On consideration I did not fit the extra seat belts, given that in reality it will be moved to make use of space when parked or camping so will be in the "proper" position for travelling. At a push the center seat of the bench has an integrated seat belt so can be used to travel with 4 people.

Moving the seat back takes 30 seconds max, easily doable on your own.

I am just waiting on the front bench swivel and that will make the space even more usable with a low camping table.

View attachment 132331
This is a great setup I have done the same to mine. Unless going away the van lives like this.
FYI too add the extra seatbelts is really easy to do if your van is a factory Kombi as the reinforcements and mounting points are all there, they just bolt in!

This is a great setup I have done the same to mine. Unless going away the van lives like this.
FYI too add the extra seatbelts is really easy to do if your van is a factory Kombi as the reinforcements and mounting points are all there, they just bolt in!
Cool. I thought a 'D' pillar had to be added for the additional seat belts? Think the guy at VanLeisure said that. I wouldn't have a clue - ha ha!
DO you have any images of your van? Thanks

Yes , totally stable .
My only complaint is that the triple does not allow access to the " back " of the van
Thanks. That's good to know!
What do you mean they don't allow access to the back? I thought the seats folded and then tilted forward? Have I got that wrong?

HI, Not sure on the seat belt additions as I haven't fitted any for the rear position. With the bench in the rear you can access behind it via the tailgate, even when folded you would struggle to get behind from the sliding door as it is tight fit against the wheel arches. Still a useable "boot" when the seats are in the rear position

20211006_144613_resized.jpg20211006_144608_resized.jpg
20211006_144635_resized.jpg20211006_144629_resized.jpg20211006_144500_resized.jpg20211006_144453_resized.jpg

Cool. I thought a 'D' pillar had to be added for the additional seat belts? Think the guy at VanLeisure said that. I wouldn't have a clue - ha ha!
DO you have any images of your van? Thanks

here you go , they are specific to the 3rd row as they have the arm to lower them to shoulder height.

As had been said above the factory kombi has the anchor points from factory for the third row of seats, which is great for fitting a third row.

Caravelle floor and rails are hugely expensive at the minute as the import market for these ‘nearly new’ kits from Europe has stopped so you have to buy new rails from the main dealer, and they aren’t cheap. Then you have to factor in a fully custom floor. However this is the most flexible option, with the highest level of comfort.

You can add the feet for a triple bench in the rear and feet in the middle row- this way you can chop and change between your 2+1 and bench, or all of them for that occasion you might need an 8 seater, with third row belts fitted of course.

Or go for the 1+1+1 in the middle row and you can add a variety of feet positions in row three for the centre seat with integrated belt to be moved to - you can actually buy two of these centre seats and then hav seating for six.

The options are endless and the pricing varies. But a well thought out seating arrangement will pay dividends in the long run

We stock the triple, 2+1 and 1+1+1 seating options.

As had been said above the factory kombi has the anchor points from factory for the third row of seats, which is great for fitting a third row.

Caravelle floor and rails are hugely expensive at the minute as the import market for these ‘nearly new’ kits from Europe has stopped so you have to buy new rails from the main dealer, and they aren’t cheap. Then you have to factor in a fully custom floor. However this is the most flexible option, with the highest level of comfort.

You can add the feet for a triple bench in the rear and feet in the middle row- this way you can chop and change between your 2+1 and bench, or all of them for that occasion you might need an 8 seater, with third row belts fitted of course.

Or go for the 1+1+1 in the middle row and you can add a variety of feet positions in row three for the centre seat with integrated belt to be moved to - you can actually buy two of these centre seats and then hav seating for six.

The options are endless and the pricing varies. But a well thought out seating arrangement will pay dividends in the long run

We stock the triple, 2+1 and 1+1+1 seating options.
Great response. Thank you Oli. It really does sound like people can have any arrangement they want. Amazing.
You say factory Kombis come with anchor points for the 3rd row of seats...Do you mean for the seats or the belts? Is it just a case of fixing the brackets in whatever configuration I like and then I'm good to go? Or is there involved body work or welding that needs to be done?

Can extra floor brackets and seat belts be done within a day? ;)

Back