Rear junction box flexi panel

Zave

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I'm looking at getting one of these when back in stock:

It's black and stealthy and you wont see the wires when fitted.

Does anyone have experience of fitting it please? What size hole is needed and how do you seal the hole?
I'm thinking of offsetting the panel on the roof so that the junction box is not sitting over a ridge in the roof.

2.png2.png1.png2.png

more info . . .

Thanks Dell
Yes, I had seen that thread and some of you do have that panel but with pop tops. I guess it will be similar for my tin roof except the centre of my roof is a valley. So I'll probably off centre the panel so the junction box sits over a ridge and hopefully it won't look too odd. It looks like the Sikaflex to death method is the best way to ensure no leaks around the junction box penetration.

I’ve thought about this. I would still keep it central. one of the things that’s put me off is if there will be room between the steel roof and the ply lining for the exit of that cable without putting too much strain on the cable.

Time will tell...

I've got a thin flexi car type roof liner plus insulation in my van so it wouldn't put much pressure on the cable. The LED lights fit in the space ok.

as above, keep it central. ! - or it will look all wrong.

just put a fat doughnut ring of Sikaflex around the junction/union when you stick the panel on.

job done.

Yeah. Decided it needs to be central. I've just thought, I could build-up the valley between the ridges where the junction box sits with bitumen tape / Flashband.

a fat ring of Silicone or Sikaflex will last longer. . . . .

I've done the same thing with these panels on my shed roof....

been up there over a year or so . . . . no leaks.

20190711_091648-jpg.46856

did you take any pics of the junction box from inside the van when fitted to see how much sticks out? Thanks
No. I intended to but was in a bit of a stress to get it finished. There is plenty of room for the cable to turn though.

Did you put the junction box to the front? Also did you seal all of the way accross the front edge? I have the same job to do on the same panel in the next couple of weeks!
Also, I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post :waving:

I’ve been looking to get this same panel. Any hints or tips from your experience of fitting it?

I’ve been looking to get this same panel. Any hints or tips from your experience of fitting it?
I got a 130 watt panel from them and fitted to pop top. I fitted to one side as I want another one. I used some super strong velcro and stuck that on the roof so if panel ever fails I can change pretty easily.

My Hat goes off to you guys that fit these panels to your roofs. I use the fold able version on the Dashboard method. But i would love to have it fitted to the Roof permanently, but drilling a hole through the the Roof gives me the fear.
I have drilled through the floor to fit the Diesel heater vent etc.. But the roof is another matter..

I havent drilled through the roof. Mine go down through gap in tailgate and then into van that way. You just see a short section of wire at the back. It was really easy and I'm not to fussed about seeing the wires. If it means we dint need hookup all the time means we can go to a festival or the likes without having to worry about running out of power.

I havent drilled through the roof. Mine go down through gap in tailgate and then into van that way. You just see a short section of wire at the back. It was really easy and I'm not to fussed about seeing the wires. If it means we dint need hookup all the time means we can go to a festival or the likes without having to worry about running out of power.
Be interesting to see pics and a link to the Velcro you used :thumbsup:

Back