Raspberry Pi Van Projects

well, most people use the Pis with Python. I barely know Python. I prefer "closer to the metal". I do know Linux and Unixes quite well though.
My expertise is in C (and C related languages), and particularly clean/safe software (MISRA standards for example, and a lot of verification: Software Unit Testing, Virtualisation of embedded systems, everything I/we do has to be proven right)

now working on blackboxes for cars, but previous job, I developed the instrument clusters for McLaren MP4-12C, P1, 570 and Ford GT
and before that i used to develop microchip for Infineon in Bristol (some are in the Transporters lol). A couple of my colleagues move to Broadcomm (also have an office in Bristol) which produces the Raspberry Pi chip. A few of them work for ARM (Cambridge, Leicester, ARM designs (not produce) the processor and some of the peripherals of the Pi processor)

Embedded software is really exciting. Normal computer that only produce audio and video are boring, but when they start to actually interact with the real world, that's an other story.

If your kids are not sure what to do later as a job, introduce them to the idea: it's an exciting field, not going to shrink, even though there are growing pain (current poor security)

It's a great British success story and I like them. I've got a few lying around for different projects. My soldering is preventing completion of some nice little projects. And now, BT prevents my pi hole from being effective.

On a side note, I've just started working for a company who make INS systems for the automotive industry, amongst others.

I've got a PI that controls my garage door. remote control and soft remote access too so if I loose the remote I can SSH in from my phone. I'd love to put a GPS tracking system in the van with a PI with full remote access. mainly as a proprietary tracker in case it gets nicked. but remote control of an electric heater in the mornings would save my freezing hands in the winter too.

The only prob I can see with this @Nick Fox is power... A potential scum bag only had to cut the power and tracker is dead so as a theft device, not really. But, as a trip logger it could work. And as a tracker for those with other family who "use" the van then yes, you can turn the van off if they exceed 70mph! :D

There's a new Pi intown gents. More ram, but more power required I presume. Anyone tried one yet?

Pi 4 Model B 1GB and 4GB sold out at Pi Hut.
And even though the item was in my basket it was sold by the time I got to checkout!

Usb3 for external storage, and gigabit ethernet that's not tied to USB2 bus max speed. Im looking at a low power plex server/nas. And more ram never hurt anyone.

my Pi stuff over here:

mostly used for Victron leisure/solar monitoring.

nothing to adventurous thus far.

got 3x PI 3 B+ running

I use a Pi as a DNS sinkhole at my Home

I used pi-hole for a while (admittedly not on a Pi, i have a dell rack server at home ;) ) just ditched it in favour of Ad-Aware which plays more favourably with Home-Assistant that im also running for home automation stuff.

i do have a few pi's kicking about which i have grand plans for (largely motivated by link above @Dellmassive posted!), i think one of my pi's has 'retropie' currently installed on which is worth looking in to if you like the idea of retro gaming and emulators.

Back