Raspberry Pi Van Projects

xswind

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Good day all,

Just wondering if anyone has built and installed any good Raspberry PI projects into their van?

Odometer Freeze + AdBlue simulator

(just joking)

I've seen a programmable multi sound horn on youtube built around a Pi. tempting

A raspberry PI is a fag packet sized mini pc, the cool bit about them is that they are real easy to control external devices like relays etc.

I love them, have several knocking about the house, one for a media box, another for controlling LED strings and various for experimental. In the van I initially used one for my interior movement sensor alarm, before switching it to an Arduino to reduce size, before ditching it altogether and getting a Clifford as I didn't want to have THAT conversation with my insurers if it was nicked :D

Other uses in the van, maybe media player again, light controller, software radio? IIRC @Phil_G was looking at using one to interpret and display info from a Victron solar controller. But it may have been an Arduino, and it may not have been him, my memory is getting worse every day :confused:

Be interested in any uses you can come up with, I've got unused ones that are basically a solution waiting for a problem.

After consuming a bottle of red wine tonight there is bugger all point in trying to read any of that. Perhaps I shall try and school myself on the subject tomorrow.

I've been trying to make an OBDII reader for the van but I got hung up over the screen to run it on and the powerup/power down. The small screens take up all the connector so you're limited with connectivity. The small screens are also a pain in the arse to run as they're cheap in all senses of the word.
I have just dismantled a laptop and trying the screen from that but it needs another mains feed for the controller so that may end up as a kitchen TV/recipie server.
Perhaps a pi zero W might be better on power and could voice control lights with the Google software?

I've been trying to make an OBDII reader for the van but I got hung up over the screen to run it on and the powerup/power down. The small screens take up all the connector so you're limited with connectivity. The small screens are also a pain in the arse to run as they're cheap in all senses of the word.
I have just dismantled a laptop and trying the screen from that but it needs another mains feed for the controller so that may end up as a kitchen TV/recipie server.
Perhaps a pi zero W might be better on power and could voice control lights with the Google software?
I made an Alexa device with a Pi, but combining it with controlling lights might be tricky as Alexa wanted total control. For an OBD display you're probably better off with an ELM27 and a cheap used Android tablet.

After consuming a bottle of red wine tonight there is bugger all point in trying to read any of that. Perhaps I shall try and school myself on the subject tomorrow.
It's not the wine, it's our age. Save your eye strain. It's for the young ones. :devil:
( Lights touch paper and runs very, very fast as he is much, much bigger than me)

I made an Alexa device with a Pi, but combining it with controlling lights might be tricky as Alexa wanted total control. For an OBD display you're probably better off with an ELM27 and a cheap used Android tablet.

I know, that was my conclusion, but where's the fun in that!? :rolleyes:
A power and water monitor would be good, mainly as I have a box of sensors that I want to use... As @xswind says, a solution looking for a problem....

And the Google software was limited... Got bored with it and turned it off. Interesting access to the Google cloud control panels tho.

my job is essentially working on raspberry pi (embedded software, firmware, automotive)
i love to play with them, but after 8+ hours maybe time to do something else in the evenings

Back